Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is what others have called the 3 amigos but the ABS, TC and Down Hill light is on...just suddenly braked really hard (car came out of nowhere and it was rainy out so slammed on the brakes).

Never seen anything like this before...turned my Disco II off and on and the lights are still appearing.

Disco has been running perfect but now these lights are annoying...any suggestions?

I was going to pull the fuse maybe or just try to restart the computer by unplugging the negative terminal on the battery overnight. Thoughts?

Just wondering if anyone experienced this before

Thanks!

·
Joe Btfsplk
86 Posts
Yep. Three Amigos. There is a plethora of information on this and nearly every LR forum on the problem.

Before you spend a bunch of time or money, see if you can access a Nanocom, or a Hawkeye, or whatever OBDll fault code reader you can find and get a list of the fault codes. Search this forum for the explanations. If your device has the capacity, clear the codes and go for a drive to see if the problem was 'once off' or is genuine.

If the lights re-appear, you can search this forum, or google 3 amigos and get an absolute pot full of information on what to do next. Just remember that your brakes will still work, but will not have ABS capability until the issue is sorted out. You will also not have traction control or hill descent control either, so you should get on this pretty quickly.

Have fun, this is a common problem that about two million D2 owners (including myself) have faced. There is even a tee shirt!

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Joe,

I plugged the battery to reset the computer and I will see what the verdict is. First time I am hearing about the 3 Amigos thing with Land Rovers...up to this point it was leaky fluids, head gaskets and drive shafts. I guess I will add this one to the list.

Read up on it last night and not to jump the gun..a lot of people were talking about ABS modulator, some option B. Is there more information on option B somewhere that I am missing?

Hoping that after the computer reset it doesn't come back, or something small like a wheel sensor

I might have to get one of those shirts...I am finally in the club!! Thanks for the response.

·
Joe Btfsplk
86 Posts
3 amigos

brooksa;
Not necessarily. Mine came on, I reset them, and two years later they still have not come on again as the 3 amigos. I maintain my car well, and as it has over 215,000 kms on it, I drive it like it is an old lady - (although I do take it offroad here in Africa form time to time, which is the real thing in bush driving...). However, I have NOT touched the shuttle valve, front hubs or sensors, I have only done the brakes. Some say that if your brakes are worn that contributes to the lights coming on.

Check the codes first.

And yes, my hill descent control, traction control and ABS are all working. Temperamental old girls, these D2s.

·
Registered
297 Posts
brooksa;
Not necessarily. Mine came on, I reset them, and two years later they still have not come on again as the 3 amigos. I maintain my car well, and as it has over 215,000 kms on it, I drive it like it is an old lady - (although I do take it offroad here in Africa form time to time, which is the real thing in bush driving...). However, I have NOT touched the shuttle valve, front hubs or sensors, I have only done the brakes. Some say that if your brakes are worn that contributes to the lights coming on.

Check the codes first.

And yes, my hill descent control, traction control and ABS are all working. Temperamental old girls, these D2s.

Joe lol very true, I know every truck is different just going by my temperamental one. I would sneeze and the lights would come on, just got frustrated and did the option B and zero issues since!

·
Black Rhino
54 Posts
Hey where can I get that shirt?? I am going to buy for the whole family since we beat the amigos!

·
Joe Btfsplk
86 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
If your three amigos come back and you need an ODBII reader, I have an ABS Amigo for sale that I can send you for alot cheaper than a new one.
Your confusing OBD2 and ABS Amigo. They do completely different things. A OBD2 reader will not read/reset your SLABS computer. That's what the ABS Amigo is for.
Do some research. There are some relatively inexpensive systems available out there that are all-inclusive.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Joe,

I plugged the battery to reset the computer and I will see what the verdict is. First time I am hearing about the 3 Amigos thing with Land Rovers...up to this point it was leaky fluids, head gaskets and drive shafts. I guess I will add this one to the list.

Read up on it last night and not to jump the gun..a lot of people were talking about ABS modulator, some option B. Is there more information on option B somewhere that I am missing?

Hoping that after the computer reset it doesn't come back, or something small like a wheel sensor

I might have to get one of those shirts...I am finally in the club!! Thanks for the response.
Don't do anything until you get the SLABS faults read. Otherwise your just shooting in the dark and wasting your time/money.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Amazing. I haven't visited this site in a very very long time and it is still the very same questions. I still have my disco and I have touched every bolt on it more than once. I bought one of those 3 amigo reseter things oh so many years ago and i still have to use it from time to time. What are those things called again?

·
Joe Btfsplk
86 Posts
Could be the abovementioned ABS Amigo, or it could be a Nanocom, could be a Hawkeye, or an iCarsoft, there are several out there that work.... although I am not sure if the ABS Amigo can RESET the codes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.