Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Ridgeline Adventures
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there
Having continuous problems with three amigos coming on over the past 6 mths.
Had fault code read many times saying front Right Sensor signal erratic. Replaced the RF sensor. Lights came back after couple of weeks. Back to computer and same fault came up. So replaced whole ABS unit with second hand one. Lights came back after a couple of weeks……

Anyone have a "next step" for me?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Hi there
Had fault code read many times saying front Right Sensor signal erratic. Replaced the RF sensor. Lights came back after couple of weeks. Back to computer and same fault came up. So replaced whole ABS unit with second hand one. Lights came back after a couple of weeks……

Thanks in advance.
Could be the whole hub assembly. I've replaced just sensors and fixed the issue and other times had to replace the hub/sensor as a whole to fix it.

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
Late reply but IMO it's 99% the hub, there's a play in the reluctor ring... unless it's a wiring issue between the hub and ECU but that's hard to find and not so common

·
Registered
21 Posts
Couple of years ago I had the disc pads replaced in the old girl and short there after the 3 amigos came on. At the time I had only bought the old girl and did not know about the 3 amigos.

Finally in frustration I took it to the local dealer after I made sure I could put a second mortgage on the house to pay!! They said that the pads were not genuine and the harmonics(?) from them were causing the amigos to trigger.

Now I am no expert and this could have been a croc of bull, however, when they put on genuine pads the amigos went away. And the most pleasing part I did not have to mortgage the home!!

I am open to others thoughts but this is my experience, Peter

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
I have heard of this (pad chatter and resonating noise triggering an a.b.s. Fault set.
Rear brakes I assume?
I guess it all depends on the set codes in your situation

·
Registered
233 Posts
Couple of years ago I had the disc pads replaced in the old girl and short there after the 3 amigos came on. At the time I had only bought the old girl and did not know about the 3 amigos.

Finally in frustration I took it to the local dealer after I made sure I could put a second mortgage on the house to pay!! They said that the pads were not genuine and the harmonics(?) from them were causing the amigos to trigger.

Now I am no expert and this could have been a croc of bull, however, when they put on genuine pads the amigos went away. And the most pleasing part I did not have to mortgage the home!!

I am open to others thoughts but this is my experience, Peter
Could have been cheap pads or bad rotors...or both. Whenever new brake pads are installed, the rotors either A) be replaced also or B) rotors machined back to true again and reinstalled at same time as new pads. The point being, old rotors will have ridges and unevenness to the surface so that a new, evenly surfaced pad will not have perfect contact throughout the rotational cycle of the wheel resulting in the vibration and shaking. For future reference, you don't have to take out a 2nd mortgage on your home to have repairs made on your Land Rover. Always search the web and forums when you have a problem. If I was not mechanically-inclined, I would source a forum member in my area to assist me at an affordable rate, or if more desperate at least shop around and compare shop quotes before allowing the first garage to rip me off. Good luck with your trucks guys. Go with an "Indy shop" as they call it; auto garages that deal with imports or European vehicles and usually one out of 3 will have a mechanic certified on Land Rover makes. NEVER use a dealer for parts and repairs as their markup is simply outrageous and unaffordable. They cater to the wealthy who don't bat an eyelid at few thousand dollars for automotive repair or otherwise.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi there

Thanks in advance.
http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-11471.html
The hub assembly is absolutely a part that should be replaced with only a new unit. The ABS system is just way too finicky. Clean both ends of the ABS connection very well. If the pads are worn, replace them and the rotors too, or at the very least you must take the rotors in to be machined if there is enough material remaining to do so. Replace the hub and lead with a new unit.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks R12 and C878, my post was more about giving the original poster another option, I have told couple of people around home about my problem with the 3 little buggers and two have had success with changing the brakes, not sure what they did or what work they did.

Yep C878, I have learnt real bloody quick how to become a backyard mechanic. I had an transmission fluid leak through the loom. Mr Dealer and expert non dealer both quoted me $1000.00 + for the pleasure. A mate and I lying on our back under the car in the driveway with the rave manual pages printed did the job for a 10 cent o ring and the price of new fluid. Though at the time thought prudent to do a service whilst had it apart.

Took us about 2 hours lying on the deck, so guess a 10c part plus labour that is a good mark up.

Peter

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thanks R12 and C878, my post was more about giving the original poster another option, I have told couple of people around home about my problem with the 3 little buggers and two have had success with changing the brakes, not sure what they did or what work they did.

Yep C878, I have learnt real bloody quick how to become a backyard mechanic. I had an transmission fluid leak through the loom. Mr Dealer and expert non dealer both quoted me $1000.00 + for the pleasure. A mate and I lying on our back under the car in the driveway with the rave manual pages printed did the job for a 10 cent o ring and the price of new fluid. Though at the time thought prudent to do a service whilst had it apart.

Took us about 2 hours lying on the deck, so guess a 10c part plus labour that is a good mark up.

Peter
Good work! Like I have read many times, a LR will make a mechanic out of anyone (not saying that you are not) as the dealer makes cost of parts and repairs unaffordable for most people.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.