Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I have a 1998 range rover, and the air conditioning only works sometimes, and not very often. I really don't want to take it to the dealership and pay probably $1000, so I was curious if anyone knew what was wrong.
The AC works only sometimes, not usually though. When it does, the air is nice and cold, and it usually stays on until I turn the car off. When I turn it on again, it usually does not work. Also, sometimes It will start out to work and then kinda just die in th middle, or vice versa. If anyone has any idea please let me know. Thanks guys!!

Oh I would also like to add that it does not to be recharged... That I already checked. Thanks
-Andrew

· Registered
76 Posts
this can be caused by the pressure switch,there are 2 of them on the drier by the condenser.start engine and turn on the A/C,look to see if the compressor clutch has ingaged if not give the switchs a sharp tap with the handle of a screw driver or something simular.mine sticks especially in hot weather

· Registered
96 Posts
Shiftech's idea is well worth trying. I however wasn't so lucky, and for basically the same symptom (A/C would work if starting w/ engine cold, not if doing a warm start) I ended up having to replace the compressor itself, along with the harnesses that go with it... still with 120K on the car it was worth it to be able to take my wife's lapdog along on a 1 week road trip in 90+ degree F heat.

· Registered
114 Posts
Compressor Clutch Failure:Another common A/C problem is insufficient voltage to the magnetic compressor clutch; as the disk and pulley gap increases with wear the available magnetic flux has to bridge a larger gap. There is an official Land Rover fix for this in the shape of an additional wiring harness which dedicates a new circuit, with its own relay (relay #10 in the engine fusebox), to the magnetic clutch. A quick fix short of this official repair was devised by Andrew Parker. He found you can remove the shim washer from behind the disk and flexure plate (see picture at right by Ron Beckett) to reduce the gap. The shim washer fits to the centre boss of the plate. I have heard from several people who have had good success with this technique.

I hope it will help
Saludos
Pascal ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.