Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I am starting out in the morning, and the engine is cold, I have some light surging. What is this all about. It almost feels like the clutch is slipping. I have bosch 4platinums in this. Could this be carbon build up from first start. As soon as the engine warms up in about 5 min of driving time. She smooths out all across the range. :confused I have about 20k miles on these plugs. I know most of you don't like these plugs, but learned this after I bought them. Anyway no real problems. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Don't knock the plugs, I run them and have lots of friends that use them with good results.
You could have a temp sensor failing, a fuel pressure problem or it could be ready for a good maintance service. How many miles on the truck? Have you changed out the plug wires, O2 sensors, cap and rotor, fuel filter???
Just some thoughts.
Mike J.

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
check the fuel pressure. if should read forty psi. turn it off and watch for it to stay the same. It shouldnt drop no more then maybe five in an old vehicle. if it drops fast then you have a problem. clamp off the return hose and check to see if it still drops. if it doesnt then its a regulator. if it does then its an injector or a pump. of course you need to test at the pump to verify that.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, guys, fuel pressure is good, filters have been changed recently, the truck has a gems system(no cap and rotor). I probably need to change the wires. And run some fuel cleaner, (what a dumba$$, I should have done this :eek: ) Thanks!!

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
Do you have an intake leak.

Its possible that the intake are leaking and its causing a vacuum leak.

Heres an idea take a can of carbureator cleaner and spray the intake gaskets.

If there is a leak the surging will go away for a moment as the vacuum picks up the carbureator cleaner.

If you have a scanner you could check long and short fuel trims.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.