Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
1993 range rover lwb - Roman Bronze
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to thank mikeman for the advice. Now on to my issues:
As I was trying to take off the old accumulator, everything went smoothly until i had to take out the bottom nut of the accumulator. I couldnt reach it so I had to take off the old brake line from the brake booster module. I then took off the nut from on top of the pump itself. I thought I depressurized the system, but obviously I didn't. When the nut came off ....SPLASH !!!!!! so did a spray of brake fluid. All over the rover, the ground, everywhere. After that happened, I took the old accumulator to a shop to take off the brake line that was still attached. He used a blowtorch to loosen it and take it off. I was finally able to put the new accumulator on , by no way was this an easy task, and now I have no brakes. I also took it to the same shop to bleed the brakes per the rave manual and still no difference.
1. The pump whizzing sound does not come on at all.
2. The traction control light, the abs light, and the red brake light are on and stay on.
What did I do wrong and how can this get fixed.?
Before I bought the new accumulator the pump cycling sound would come on and stay on now nothing.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
638 Posts
id say its not cycleing cause the accumulator is working better... maybe...do you have break fluid going to the accumulatror...with it running and you loosen the bleeder screw on the accumulator do you get heavy flow of fluid..you should and the accumulator will make noise..... but if everything is working right it dosent cycle alot...id bleed the breaks completly and see what happens...
also in the past my break line broke and drained my resavor of fluid.. it cloged the line going into the abs pump...used a piece of wire to unclog it....
good luck hope ya get it fixed

·
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@ptschram: I checked all the wiring and everything checked out....I know the accumulator is working because even though it now cycles and I feel the brake pedal rising the sound is still on the three amigos are still on and now I have brake fluid dripping from the vehicle...not just a drip drip but a trail of fluid when I move the car. I feel that something is either loose or fluid is spewing from sonewhere

·
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@mikeman: I now have the cycling action going on but now it's constant and I have brake fluid coming from somewhere....I will post pictures to show where the fluid is dripping from

·
Registered
638 Posts
I'll bet it's the old hose to the resievoir
Mine was original and rotten leaked like a sive
But it could be something loose
It's kinda tight in that area
And hard to see

·
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@mikeman and PTSchram:

Here are the pictures of what I'm talking about.... The first picture is the trail of brake fluid from when I backed up into my parking spot, the next two pics are of the oil location and where it settles.. Asphalt Road surface Shadow Tar Floor
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Automotive wheel system

Automotive exterior Automotive tire Tire Vehicle Bumper

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
It's almost like a brake line isn't installed and the fluid is pouring out with your foot on the brake. Are you sure everything is hooked up. Have someone step on the brake while you look under the hood in the left corner where the pump, accumulator and booster are located.

·
ChamplianRover
110 Posts
Lucky man. You have two of the best chiming in to help: PT and Paul.

We all are extraordinarily lucky that they donate their time and expertise to this site and discoweb and often on the phone, text, email...

Thanks to both of you.

C. Hopkins (ChamplainRover)

·
Registered
33 Posts
The lines on my 95 classic rusted through under the drivers door and leaked fluid in the same place. Maybe you moved the steel lines when replacing the accumulator enough to cause them to rupture. Mine looked ok on the outside but had rusted enough that they sprung a leak after jamming the brakes on a fast stop.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
The lines on my 95 classic rusted through under the drivers door and leaked fluid in the same place. Maybe you moved the steel lines when replacing the accumulator enough to cause them to rupture. Mine looked ok on the outside but had rusted enough that they sprung a leak after jamming the brakes on a fast stop.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Thanx Chris

As to the rust issue, this is usually what takes my RRCs out.

I'll do brake lines once, maybe twice, but the third time, it's off the great trail in the sky.

·
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all for your advice. Here's the update:
The issue has been fixed. On the accumulator you have 3 holes... 2 holes for to the brake booster and the third one goes to the ABS pump... As Paul stated before, the screw to the pump was not properly tightened. I put brake fluid and then turned the rover on....all of a sudden...BOOM..the brake fluid was spewing. I tightened the nut a now I have perfect brakes.

·
Registered
162 Posts
i am curious what rave you were looking at. the one that i have only shows non-abs brakes and i would like to bleed according to the right manual. did i download the worng rave? i have a 90 with ABS.
also where did you get your new accumulator from? and do they ever need charging?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.