Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not entirely sure why it cannot be disconnected, if I were to fab up longer (+2'' to match my lift) connectors why couldn't I fabricate a heavy duty disconnect. It provides extra (1.5 inches) extra articulation compared to a sway bar connected, how much does it compare to with NO sway bar connected? Is there a solid reason why I cant have the extra articulation off road along with the performance on road? From the looks of it its just an actuator twisting the sway bar forward and back to control body sway. It would be just an added feature really, for that extra bite to get out of a tight spot.

· Registered
115 Posts
It is my understanding that the ACE actuator is not pressurized at low speeds and won't limit movement untill the actuator is at its limits. Are you sure that the ACE is limiting articulation? Stock length shocks limit articulation, Did you install +2" shocks?

Has anyone done some testing to see what the artulation limits are with ACE and a 2" lift, then with +2" shocks to see what is gained?

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
ACE has 1.5 more inches of articulation then the standard sway bar set up.
What sort of trails are you running that you need more wheel travel. What year id your D2, does it have CDL, have you already rebuilt or replaced the front drive shaft and what size tires are you running?
Are you lifted if so by how much?
I have run my 99, with ACE thru the Rubicon, Death Valley, the High Sierras, Moab and many of the trails in Colorado and nevr been held back by the ACE.

· Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The ace system goes "limp" when it senses offroad use. DiscoMike said you get and extra (roughly)1.5 inches compared to a normal sway bar. I've never fully articulated it with my lift to it's fullest extent yet, only while stock. I just installed lift with longer shocks.

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
Ace does not go limp when being driven hard, up to 70 MPH, when off road. I have run the upper half of the Baja course 2 times sometimes at 70 and some of the non-ACE suspension could not stay up with me.plus

· Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow mike posted seconds before I did, very fast. Haha. My d2 has the cdl, and it's an 01. With the cdl locked I got stuck in a small part of a trail up on mount charleston, it was snowing and I'm sure I could have made it if it wasnt, but a single part where my front right wheel was off the ground about 2 inches, it was an exposed rocky spot where I'm sure I could have had just enough extra traction to make it up. The other 3 wheels on snow just spinning digging further and lifting that front wheel further. Lockers would have helped for sure, but the extra 2 inches would've helped, and possibly got me passed to get me stuck FARTHER up the trail :)

Edit: 2 inch lift (net 3.2 inches), new gbr shaft, and still 245/75r16 A/t tires. Soon to have 265/75's guard dogs or the claws from treadwright.

· Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Off road mode I though was under 30 mph ace goes limp, after
30 the raising of the rear is no longer usable and ace begins functioning, controlling body sway. To my vague knowledge via my PDF manual.

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
What sort/size of tires are you running? If you don't have good tires and a lot of experience driving in the snow, chances are good you will get stuck.

· Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh yes I completely understand that. My snow driving skills arnt bad, I used to drive up in the mountain in deep snow with my brother. I'm damn sure my tires held me back. I have the same set I bought the car with, Michelin a/t's, very mild tires. I was going to buy another set after buying Christmas presents fort my family. I was thinking either the Guard dogs or the claws which resemble the older bfg mt pattern that you used to run mike.

· Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Back to the base question though, can the Ace system disconnect if I fabricate a heavy duty disconnect? I can draw and design a good one on solid works, but is there anything that would stop me from doing so?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.