Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, first post here.

I am curious how firm LR is on the stated towing capacity of the 2002 Disco SE.

My wife and I are buying a boat that when fully loaded (including trailer) exceeds the 5500 rating. If this is going to cause catistophic failure, I'd really like to know! Would there be any benifit of outfitting the vehicle with any aftermarket equipment to make the task less daunting on the old disco?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Thanks all.

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for following up with me. The trailer does indeed have surge brakes, so thankfully that will help.

As far as the transmission, is there an aftermarket cooler than can be equiped? Does it make sense to chip the ECU as well?

Cheers,

Ryan

·
Registered
218 Posts
Towing capacity on a 2001 SE7

I was wondering if anyone might also know what the Max towing is on the Disco. I just bought a used 2001 w/ 55K miles. I have a 17ft glasstron boat.
on a single axel trailer. I also have a Suburban so I'm not worried about not being able to go boating. I'm just curious.

thanks

RB the newbie :beer:

·
Banned
527 Posts
02disco2 said:
My wife and I are buying a boat that when fully loaded (including trailer) exceeds the 5500lb rating.Thanks all.
;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Did the towing capacity of the Discos change? My book tells me that my 2000 Disco can pull 7700lbs and 10,000 lbs in low range.

The truck will pull your Glastron like it wasn't even there. I use my Disco to pull my current boat and it weighs 4800 lbs. I still use low range to pull it out of the water and it can actually idle it out.

·
rovering??
689 Posts
it is 5500 lbs but you can go higher without any problems as they are generally under rated.

·
Registered
447 Posts
i think you also have to be aware that the 5500 lbs reflects the total towed weight including the trailer - small trailers may weigh 1000 lbs sometimes. additionally the tongue weight is a factor, and the total towed weight possible is offset by the weight of any cargo you are carrying. lastly there is the issue of not towing more than the stock class 3 hitch is rated for...

true everything has a margin of safety built in, but pushing outside the design envelope will accelerate wear not only on components like brakes and transmission but also metal fatigue, weld fatigue etc...

best thing to do is figure out how much your boat plus trailer will weigh, ensure you will have trailer braking, and upgrade your hitch. the discovery can tow more than 5500 lbs in high gear, just not recommended to exceed that weight on a class III hitch.

·
rovering??
689 Posts
hermanpj,
thanks i could hav not put it better than what u did.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts