Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was checking fluid level in 2005 LR3 and added purified water - when I started the engine I got lights flashing all over the place as if it had low battery power - I though maybe some water spilled off the battery and opened the hood to let everything dry out - several hours later it started just fine and had no error lights and all seemed back to normal. Today everything is dead - no lights and it will not start. Any ideas what I may have done to cause this?

Landt

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Are you sure it is not a sealed battery? Is there writing on the battery caps? Found this:

Third, never try to add water to any AGM battery. Not only will this maneuver not rejuvenate an AGM battery, it will ruin the unit by exposing its innards to unwanted outside oxygen. Chemically, outside air poisons the contents of an AGM battery.

How do I know if I have a AGM battery?

Look at the Top of the Battery. If the label is not in good condition, and not helping you much, you can know about the type of battery by looking at its design and construction. Basically, an AGM battery will always have a flat top, and only the negative and positive terminals of the battery will be sticking out.

·
Registered
353 Posts
This is the weirdest thread I've read in a while. The title implies that water was added to a battery but then the post says nothing about having added water to the battery itself except a mention of spillage. Then, poster #2 comes along and starts mentioning AGM batteries after the OP never said anything about them. Since the LR3 doesn't come with an AGM, I'm not sure why there is any assumption that there would be one in this LR3 by default.

Fun stuff...OP how about if you test your battery with a Voltmeter for starters, see what it says.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
The post says "...added purified water." When he said he added water, I wondered what kind of battery he has. Could be a replacement. However I certainly agree that the battery should be tested.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input and thoughts!!! I charged the battery with deep cycle method and the Rover starts now. Vehicle does not have a AGM battery. Now getting a red battery indicator - I put an OBD2 monitor on her and it says high voltage. Going to shop where I bought the battery in the morning. Battery was new in November 2018.

·
Registered
353 Posts
FYI....I have an AGM in my '05 and it's been tough to keep fully charged. I don't drive the vehicle very much so that doesn't help, but I think in general the LR3 is better off without an AGM. Just my opinion, not based on anything more than anecdotal data.

·
very disco
2,968 Posts
I’ve had success with the deep cycle marine AGMs in my auxiliary rovers

·
Registered
31 Posts
OP said "added purified water" I may be mistaken but purified water is different from distilled water and distilled water is the only type you should add to a wet cell car battery. Plus you have to check the acid level once you add the water to make sure you have the correct consistency or mixture level.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was also going to comment on the purified water. Purified water still contains minerals and other elements. Distilled water does not. When you added the purified water it may have changed the battery chemistry somewhat and resulted in the problem. It would be a good idea to load test the battery but that requires a special tester. Perhaps a garage could do that for you. I normally do not check the acid level after adding distilled water, but that might be a good idea. However, what do you do if the acid level is not correct.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was also going to comment on the purified water. Purified water still contains minerals and other elements. Distilled water does not. When you added the purified water it may have changed the battery chemistry somewhat and resulted in the problem. It would be a good idea to load test the battery but that requires a special tester. Perhaps a garage could do that for you. I normally do not check the acid level after adding distilled water, but that might be a good idea. However, what do you do if the acid level is not correct.
You can actually purchase battery acid at Napa auto stores or online. You can look in also use the hydrometer to check the level of acid and distilled water mixture of the battery. You can also get that tool at Napa or online

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
WELL - as usual the LR3 isn't going to make this easy - after being unable to get the battery to hold a full charge I exchanged it and when I installed it I am still getting red battery warning light - cleared all codes and it returned - ODB scanner now says high voltage? - guess I'm heading to the shop

·
very disco
2,968 Posts
You put a new battery in, and it’s dead…

the next day? Did you drive it in between?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I did not drive it due to lateness of the day - was planning to take her out next day and would not start - fully charged the battery and it started but with many symptoms of low voltage - flashing lights, error messages, etc.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts