Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you add the BMW expansion tank to a D2 and add a low coolant level sensor to the dash?
Dave

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
I'll tell you exactly what to do, it's simple just a relay is needed... just some clarifications first:
1. is your D2 manual or auto?
2. do you have water in filter sensor on the fuel filter?

i'm asking these questions cos:
1. if it's manual you can use the transmission temp warning lamp which is already in the cluster for that and if you'll see it on you know the coolant is low...if it's auto this is not an option
2. If you dont have the sensor in the filter you can use that warning in the dash for low coolant

these are simple solutions cos you'll only have to splice into the wire which are going to any of these warnings at a connectr which is in the compartment under the steering wheel, not hard to reach.

if you want any of these options tell me which one .... if non of these options is good for you i'll tell you how to wire in a LED so choose.

·
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll tell you exactly what to do, it's simple just a relay is needed... just some clarifications first:
1. is your D2 manual or auto?
2. do you have water in filter sensor on the fuel filter?

i'm asking these questions cos:
1. if it's manual you can use the transmission temp warning lamp which is already in the cluster for that and if you'll see it on you know the coolant is low...if it's auto this is not an option
2. If you dont have the sensor in the filter you can use that warning in the dash for low coolant

these are simple solutions cos you'll only have to splice into the wire which are going to any of these warnings at a connectr which is in the compartment under the steering wheel, not hard to reach.

if you want any of these options tell me which one .... if non of these options is good for you i'll tell you how to wire in a LED so choose.

I have an auto V8 which is the US version.
Dave

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
Take a 5 pin changeover relay which has N/C contact, bring one wire in the cabin from the level sensor

85 to the wire from the level sensor, other pin of the level sensor to earth
30 to earth
86 to ignition live
87a to LED
LED to ignition live
87 not used

that's all, you have ignition live where it's pointed on the interior fusebox, female spade fits there

Attachments

·
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems a little over my head. What is a 5 pin changeover relay which has N/C contact?
Thanks, Dave

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts

·
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Banned
1,498 Posts
You can purchase Allisport with the sensor attached for $350.00 USD.

If you get a used BMW ...It's going to cost you that much to pay someone ... Your getting a plastic tank that's gonna fail at some point ... and it looks out of place ..

The Allisport is expensive but it's the last one you will ever buy and it looks cool in the engine bay. The aluminum also helps cool the engine ..

·
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

If you get a used BMW ...It's going to cost you that much to pay someone ... Your getting a plastic tank that's gonna fail at some point ... and it looks out of place ..

The Allisport is expensive but it's the last one you will ever buy and it looks cool in the engine bay. The aluminum also helps cool the engine ..
Do you have pictures of your set up?
Dave

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts

I didnt mess up youf thread about your "magnific" coolant tank while you seem to be indolent enough to run your engine with plain water unmixed with OAT and you are 100% off topic here where it's about wiring in the sensor not about how ''macho'' is your expensive coolant tank . :frown

·
Banned
1,498 Posts
I didnt mess up youf thread about your "magnific" coolant tank while you seem to be indolent enough to run your engine with plain water unmixed with OAT and you are 100% off topic here where it's about wiring in the sensor not about how ''macho'' is your expensive coolant tank . :frown

I don't use plain water with OAT.... I use distilled water + 2 bottles of purple ice.

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
I don't use plain water with OAT.... I use distilled water + 2 bottles of purple ice.
Which has nothing to do with this thread about wiring in a lvel sensor while the builder of the engine recommended other thing: from th WSM :
Anti-Freeze Concentration

The overall anti-freeze concentration should not fall,
by volume, below 50% to ensure that the anticorrosion
properties of the coolant are maintained.
Anti-freeze concentrations greater than 60% are not
recommended as cooling efficiency will be impaired
nor lower than 50% which can affect the cooling system

·
Banned
1,498 Posts
Which has nothing to do with this thread about wiring in a lvel sensor while the builder of the engine recommended other thing: from th WSM :

lol ... shows u what they know .. I have been running this in the engine for years now ..

·
Banned
1,498 Posts

The level sensor on the Allisport is at the bottom of the tank and there are wires that need to be connected to the battery and run to the dash .. .

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
The level sensor on the Allisport is at the bottom of the tank and there are wires that need to be connected to the battery and run to the dash .. .
Really ?... then tell us how you wired it if you know so well

·
Banned
1,498 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
Good luck then.... i hope that the man will not charge you too much cos it's somtheing doable by a 5 years old child in 10 minutes( providing he's not stupid)

·
Expert Crate Digger
211 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts