Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I have said in other post I am working on my 5th Land Rover and 4th Disco. My daughter also has the bug and loves these things. Granted she does not have the deep pockets to do what I can do I am available to help as she buys the parts to do any repairs. So she has found one that is in really good shape overall and runs decently BUT there is always a BUT.....Either the transmission or differential is shot...So we are going to check it out and see if I can figure it out....She has them down to $500 cash and I have it ready to pay for it. I have found two donor Disco's at the junkyard that I am pulling parts off of for mine but I do not need a transmission or differential so we can get two if that is the issue. Gonna go check it out for her and put it through some checks before she buys it. What can I check to see if it is the diff or the transmission. SHe told me it starts up but will not move in either direction..Thanks for the input....
Joe

·
Registered
233 Posts
As I have said in other post I am working on my 5th Land Rover and 4th Disco. My daughter also has the bug and loves these things. Granted she does not have the deep pockets to do what I can do I am available to help as she buys the parts to do any repairs. So she has found one that is in really good shape overall and runs decently BUT there is always a BUT.....Either the transmission or differential is shot...So we are going to check it out and see if I can figure it out....She has them down to $500 cash and I have it ready to pay for it. I have found two donor Disco's at the junkyard that I am pulling parts off of for mine but I do not need a transmission or differential so we can get two if that is the issue. Gonna go check it out for her and put it through some checks before she buys it. What can I check to see if it is the diff or the transmission. SHe told me it starts up but will not move in either direction..Thanks for the input....
Joe
Need to know MY of truck in question. Open diff TC vs lockable diff TC for deducing

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's hard to know without more info like Chubbs said. Does it show any lights, does the gear shift even move? Sometimes it could be as simple as the transfer case shifter not being fully in gear. Let us know all the info you have.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I know I need to put more info...I will post it when I find out. She was so excited i guess it did the same for me...lol
Joe

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
The Discovery is about the worst choice you could make for a vehicle purchase. They make great toys, providing you know what you're getting into and are willing to accept the risks and the high cost of the failures you are bound to experience. For something to get you around, back and forth to work or whatever, it's a poor choice.

People see these trucks and think "Exclusive brand name, rare & unique and dirt cheap price..." and buy them not realizing that many have so much wrong or just borderline wrong with them that they're worthless as an operating vehicle. I buy one or two a month in various stages of not-running condition and most often the seller has owned the truck less than 90 days. I can't believe how many 10-15 year old, high-end European vehicles are on Craigslist as "mechanics specials" at any given time. Most are worth way more in parts than assembled.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Discovery is about the worst choice you could make for a vehicle purchase. They make great toys, providing you know what you're getting into and are willing to accept the risks and the high cost of the failures you are bound to experience. For something to get you around, back and forth to work or whatever, it's a poor choice.

People see these trucks and think "Exclusive brand name, rare & unique and dirt cheap price..." and buy them not realizing that many have so much wrong or just borderline wrong with them that they're worthless as an operating vehicle. I buy one or two a month in various stages of not-running condition and most often the seller has owned the truck less than 90 days. I can't believe how many 10-15 year old, high-end European vehicles are on Craigslist as "mechanics specials" at any given time. Most are worth way more in parts than assembled.
I agree with you for the most part but I enjoy them and I do use them to commute to work however I do have 2 other back up vehicles and a motocycle when it is warm. She is determined to get it she has the bug and she has me to do most of the work...

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SO it is a 2002 Land Rover Discovery II SE7 or that is what she told me....Going to take a look at it for her tomorrow night..
THanks
Joe

·
Wounded Knee Moderator
1,904 Posts

I can't say I agree whole heartedly with ya. I kept my 97 alive and well for eight years cheaply as my dd and the clock started at 98k and when it left it had 210k on it. Other than head gaskets and a water pump I put nothing else expensive into it and received in return 17mpg average. So it's not exactly all doom and gloom. By the way it was the first vehicle I came across that I kept for more than two years. I don't live in the city nor commute on the freeway. The private road I live on is challenging just to get to pavement in the winter so I needed what the Disco gave me. At the time when I moved into this place we were lucky to have the roads plowed by the time I left for work. I also drove through 19" of heavy wet snow for forty five miles to get to Camp Grayling for drill the next morning. She was a beaut, now my son owns her. I'm not really sure where you're coming from but I don't think I'd speak for everyone because there's more to people then overgeneralizing.

·
Wounded Knee Moderator
1,904 Posts
SO it is a 2002 Land Rover Discovery II SE7 or that is what she told me....Going to take a look at it for her tomorrow night..
THanks
Joe
Sounds like fun, post up what you find out about it. Your daughter sounds like a cool kid.

·
Wounded Knee Moderator
1,904 Posts
By the way, my ex Supervisor now buddy forever is a retired Navy Chief, Tomcat electrician was his claim to fame. You guys are nuts by the way! He told me what happens during initiation.......

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts

looks like "mr. Beast" knows what he is getting into (6 land rovers I think this will make it 7) so I don't think he needs to be schooled on the topic.

They are addictive for sure! Beast has had 6 or so, I have had 5 and you apparently buy them on a weekly basis.

In my area it seems that most people shy away form these trucks because they don't understand them and don't take the time to understand what they require.
Yes they are not perfect but very few vehicles are. I love mine and obviously you love yours too. I would rather buy a vehicle I like and put work into it than buy something I hate .... and put work into that as well

In the beast case it appears that Dad likes land rovers - kid wants Land Rover like dad - no suprise to me
Dad knows land rovers somewhat (has had 1/2 dozen of them) and is willing to fix for his kid - good dad by the sound of it!
Dad knows they are safe, tough and mostly reliable if you know how to take care of them
Mine is an everyday vehicle. It takes me everywhere, short commute, swimming lessons dance classes, grocery store, fishing (canoe on top) camping (pulls my 3000 pound camper no problem)
My oldest son is fifteen and will learn to drive in my disco. It will probably be his one day.

Mr. Beast is looking for technicial advice on what to check, what to expect etc. Not a list of why he shouldn't do what he is doing!
That's his wife's job ;)
Ct maybe give some advice from your experience or read and move on to another thread.

As for what to check the items that come to my mind are X.y.z. Switch possible or even something as simple as the hi / low shifter is in neutral or not fully in high.
If it is a solid truck for $5-600 I would buy it too . Even if just for its "parts value (as you mentioned they are worth more dead than alive):devil

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
I have logged up tons of miles in 4 different Land rovers over 15 years now. 130k on a 91 RRC, 55k in another RRC, 40k in a Disco II and 35k in a Defender 110. None moved to new homes because they didn't run. My first the black classic died of cancer but gave it's motor at 200K to another rover. They have all been great trucks all served DD duty for many many years.

Do your maintenance, repair things as needed and drive happy. So I guess I'm with IH on this one. Love them for what they are, attention whores.

Ok so most likey as a 2002 no center diff lock. So a blow front or rear diff will disable the truck. So the big question would be are the driveshafts turning when it's in gear and a little gas is given?

If not then we need to make sure the transfer case is in gear. high low doesn't matter just make sure its in one or the other. If it was definitely in gear than it is most likely the trans.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have logged up tons of miles in 4 different Land rovers over 15 years now. 130k on a 91 RRC, 55k in another RRC, 40k in a Disco II and 35k in a Defender 110. None moved to new homes because they didn't run. My first the black classic died of cancer but gave it's motor at 200K to another rover. They have all been great trucks all served DD duty for many many years.

Do your maintenance, repair things as needed and drive happy. So I guess I'm with IH on this one. Love them for what they are, attention whores.

Ok so most likey as a 2002 no center diff lock. So a blow front or rear diff will disable the truck. So the big question would be are the driveshafts turning when it's in gear and a little gas is given?

If not then we need to make sure the transfer case is in gear. high low doesn't matter just make sure its in one or the other. If it was definitely in gear than it is most likely the trans.
Thanks that is what I was looking for. A little insight what to look for when we go over and start it up. Have not had any diff or xmission issue on any that I have owed so this is a new one for me. Probly going to end up buying it anyway just for the cause. If it does not heat up and looks like it is workable it will be in my garage by the end of the week right after i finish my poker table build.
Thanks
Joe

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
It still could be a grenaded transfer case but it is pretty rare for a lt230 to let go in a Soccer mom Disco let alone one that is wheeled.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Mr. Beast is looking for technicial advice on what to check, what to expect etc. Not a list of why he shouldn't do what he is doing!
This forum regularly see posts that start with...

"I just bought a Rover and it's making a funny noise/leaking something/won't start/has funny lights blinking on the dash..."

In my opinion, more people should be dissuaded from buying these things, unless they have a very complete tool set, years of mechanical experience and a hobbyist's viewpoint. I presume that a guy that owns several has already found this out. Lots of people read these forums without ever posting or asking questions, so if I can prevent a couple of guys from buying a Rover as a unique looking low-buck daily driver and buying a Toyota, then I think it has value.

But- to add to the Used Rover Buying Guide...

The frames on these trucks rust quickly. A beautiful looking truck may very well have a swiss cheese frame.

Engine problems- fragile head gaskets/bolts that immediately fail upon overheat. A less-than-robust oiling system exacerbated by wearing rocker shafts and wearing cam bearings.

Temp gauge- only goes into the red once the engine got hot enough to do permanent damage.

A cooling system designed by Rube Goldberg. Lots of water going lots of places means lots of places for potential leaks, which cause the issue immediately above, which causes the issue immediately above that. Most often they have had coolant changes with the wrong product and have experienced damaging corrosion.

Non-serviceable u-joints which are frequently ignored. When the front breaks, they typically destroy the transmission case.

BMW door latches- which means that they fail regularly, are unserviceable and are expensive/difficult to replace.

Parts availability- be prepared for the words "we can order that for you". Even the dealer stocks nothing. And aside from the dealer, be prepared for "A Rover? Really?", followed by a condescending snicker. The better among them will give you that empathetic "I feel your pain" look. And expect to pay dearly for these parts. It's worth exploring the UK sources. If you buy a bunch of stuff all at once, the freight can be affordable and DHL is 2-3 days.

The newest Discovery out there is 13 years old. Most likely it has had three or four owners and most likely the last one or two had it for cheap transportation and didn't love it like an enthusiast's vehicle. Far from it. More likely it's been neglected in more ways than one.

And the list goes on. I'll save room for others that might want to weigh in.

To the OP- on the engine/transmission thing, I'd suggest some specific research. Not all D2's are interchangeable in that respect.

·
Wounded Knee Moderator
1,904 Posts
So what's the aim here CT, are you trying to warn the world that Rovers are going to self ignite if you climb in one? Everything you've said is a given and no not everyone is aware of the short comings but there are forums for everything man has made (nearly) and this one is serving its purpose to help people overcome and enjoy. Your knowledge is welcome and honestly spot on (hilarious from my seat because it's so true) but what can you do to help those who don't know these truths or are willing to accept them and dance. This thread group is not first timers, no noobs to warn. Chief knows em well enough to help his daughter and possibly doesn't mind being called at 0200 to come rescue her when the starter fails. I aint pick'n but holy cow! I've got some Norcos if you want a couple, I'm very relaxed right now.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
CT90 if we all went with that theory none of us would be here.

Greasy fingers and the occasional busted knuckle are well worth the friends I have made in the Rover community

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
CT90 if we all went with that theory none of us would be here.
Alot of people who I see on this forum SHOULDN'T be here. They made a costly mistake and made an ill-advised purchase. They wanted a cool, inexpensive truck to drive around. But the majority of the regular visitors already know about what I've warned about here. Nothing I've written strays very far from being absolutely factual. This isn't a car for the uninitiated in their idiosyncrasies. I own two Porsche 911's. You want to talk about a car that no one in their right mind should own? And yet many do. Some go into it knowing what they're getting into and accepting the challenges. Others charge head first into it and end up either with $40K in a $25K car, or worse.

I misread the OP's post and confused it with another. Re reading, I see that he wants to know what could be wrong in the transmission. My error.

·
Wounded Knee Moderator
1,904 Posts
Alot of people who I see on this forum SHOULDN'T be here.
But they are, so how hard is it to help? It isn't. You qualify their knowledge, their abilities and then their wallet. It's a simple process. People make bad decisions but what they don't want (or do want) is someone to rub it in their face. They hope to find someone who can work with them to understand and move forward. It takes the sting out of it. I've seen folks turn sour on Rovers only to come back and then accumulate so many that they don't have any room in the driveway. Shiftonthefly on LRF is someone right off the top of my head. He is the absolute perfect example of what happens when the bug bites both ways. He thought he made the lousiest decision and nobody could talk him out of it. He sold his truck. Then he pops back up on that forum with another. Now he has several plus a ton of parts he lists. He thought he lost the war because he lost the battle initially but something turned him around and I hope it was us plus his willingness. I used to think exactly like you but I've been doing this for awhile now and it's pretty enjoyable to motivate noobs. YMMV but mine is still climbing.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.