Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys! new here so please advise if this has already been touched on/ discussed.

I'm looking at purchasing a used Disco II but I can't find any with less than 200,000 km on the odometer.
I know it all depends on how well maintained the vehicle is, but how long do discos last? Do they perform well in the higher km range?
Are there any milestones that I should be aware of? i.e head gasket at 100km etc.

I've read up on what to look for when inspecting the car, like where dangerous rust forms, etc. I'm looking for advice from Disco owners who have been through this.

Thanks in advance.

Lloyd

very disco
There鈥檚 no Disco that you shouldn鈥檛 expect to dump money into, mileage high or low. The engines have inherent flaws, which are luck of the draw as to if/when they manifest.

I鈥檝e had seven of them, and of the D2 variant, engine trouble is a recurring theme. The real question isn鈥檛 if you should or shouldn鈥檛 buy, but are you mentally and financially prepared for the worst case scenario. Some folk spend thousands every year on golf memberships, shoes, fine art... some of us on land rovers.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for getting back to me @reverendALC! A real Disco enthusiast I see.

What sort of engine trouble have you experienced in the past? To be honest, I like the idea of having something that I can tinker with. I don't need the car for daily use, more of weekend getaways and road trips. I'm not shy of a bit of DIY work, but I have my limits as I AM NOT a mechanic. The engine trouble that you speak of, is it something that required professional help, like a rebuild, or was it something that the average youtube tech could tackle?

very disco
Before we go off on this tangent, are you looking at 99-02 or 03-04 disco 2? They both share some fundamental flaws but have their unique subsets of issues

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Before we go off on this tangent, are you looking at 99-02 or 03-04 disco 2? They both share some fundamental flaws but have their unique subsets of issues
04 Disco 2 is the main model I'm looking at. There seems to be more of these on the market than the other models.

Registered
My 04 has 248000km, it runs fine but in the last 2 years I have done:

• Shocks and springs 800.00 CDN 2 inch lift though
  • Full fluid change and transmission service 1000.00 - I had a powertrain warranty I could not do it myself
  • Rear main engine seal 2200.00 I have nowhere to drop a transmission included all new transmission mounts
  • New drive shaft 250.00
  • New muffler 150.00
  • Misc about another 500.00
I do everything possible myself, but you are ordering parts from the US in US dollars and it can brutal. But that is all maintenance on a 15 year old truck, and I take mine off road all the time.

If you go with a Disco but 100 or so dollars in the bank every month and leave there, then you do not suffer so much when things go wrong.

04's can have or get cracked engine blocks, heat is your problem it is an aluminum engine and they do not handle overheat at all. You need to at the very least get an ELM 327 odb reader and Torque for your phone so you know exactly what the engine temps are, the gauge is just an idiot light.

All Disco's that get too hot will need head gaskets and at 200000 km you may need to do them at some point anyway.

But if you want to go this route take your time,
  • ask about engine maint what has and has not been done
  • drive it and check the temps as noted above. With a stock thermostat between 200 and 215 ish is normal anything near 220 is a pass.
  • Listen to engine any knocking is a pass
  • Ticking is tough a light tick not too bad, loud tick pass. lots of causes for ticks from exhaust to dirty lifters but none is better
  • Water entry ask about leaks Sunroofs and Windshield

very disco
Yep. 2004 is the model to lust after.
It鈥檚 also the model with the cruddiest engine as far as slipped liners, overheating and head gasket.

Banned
Yep. 2004 is the model to lust after.
It鈥檚 also the model with the cruddiest engine as far as slipped liners, overheating and head gasket.
I wanted to purchase the 2004 model over the 1999. However I was told by one of the top experts in this feild (you all know him) via phone and email the early 1999 is preferable to the 2004 for overall engine issues. It was a hard choice to buy an older Rover with the same miles because I had 2 choices and really wanted the 2004. But I was worried about the alleged oil pump issues. The 2004 is far more appealing and has a 4.6 liter engine with secondary air vs. the 4.0 liter with no secondary air on the 1999.

Registered
Hey Guys! new here so please advise if this has already been touched on/ discussed.

I'm looking at purchasing a used Disco II but I can't find any with less than 200,000 km on the odometer.
I know it all depends on how well maintained the vehicle is, but how long do discos last? Do they perform well in the higher km range?
Are there any milestones that I should be aware of? i.e head gasket at 100km etc.

I've read up on what to look for when inspecting the car, like where dangerous rust forms, etc. I'm looking for advice from Disco owners who have been through this.

Thanks in advance.

Lloyd
My early 鈥99 disco (1) has 275,000 km on it, still runs like a top after catching up the maintenance the PO has skipped or used inferior parts on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

very disco
I think that the newer the disco gets, the cooler it gets (lr3/4 excluded)... but the reliability trends inversely to that.

Drives like an old man
My experience is limited to a 2004 SE. Admittedly, it has low miles (88,000, about 142,000 km) but it purrs like a kitten and makes decent power. As long as you replace the old radiator, thermostat and water pump, and add a real temperature indicator, the engine should be cool enough to last a long time. Mine has never been apart and I'm on a mission to put that off as long as possible. I've never really heard anything negative about the older Discos with the 4.0, so I think if you get the right rig and take care of it, you'll love it. Most Discos on the market have not been taken care of properly, so caveat emptor.

very disco
I agree, timely service and preventative maintenance can be the reason why one disco has 200,000+ miles and another gets lumped at 120,000. With how nearly impossible it is to know a vehicle鈥檚 service history, and with the potentially impending engine grenade, it鈥檚 a tough call to make.

I鈥檝e owned many of these rigs, some meticulously maintained and some hardly worth the sum of their parts. In my current build, I decided to bypass the unknown and buy one real cheap with a bad engine and put my hard earned dollars into a new engine.

Reactions: Lloyd_VS

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The 04's are a beautiful beast! Thanks for the advice fellas. appreciate it! @reverendALC

A lot of the models I've been looking at are around 200K-250K km mark, a few have popped up on the internet in the sub 200's which is good. but by the sounds of it, it all depends on maintenance. @Richard Gallant - Good point, ill check on all the things you mentioned! - Love the color of your disco btw, very nice.

So far Rust, heat and odd noises are on the checklist. Any other identifiers of wear and tear I should know about? I'm inspecting some vehicles in the coming weeks. fingers crossed.

Lloyd

very disco
Rust in the chassis. The body panels are aluminum.

if you have an LR friendly code reader, I would query the ECUs for trouble codes too

Reactions: Lloyd_VS

Registered
There鈥檚 no Disco that you shouldn鈥檛 expect to dump money into, mileage high or low. The engines have inherent flaws, which are luck of the draw as to if/when they manifest.

I鈥檝e had seven of them, and of the D2 variant, engine trouble is a recurring theme. The real question isn鈥檛 if you should or shouldn鈥檛 buy, but are you mentally and financially prepared for the worst case scenario. Some folk spend thousands every year on golf memberships, shoes, fine art... some of us on land rovers.

Had this thought: "Discovery series II depravity=tendencies...it started after The Fall."
I crack me up biblically 'rev..ALC' (I am in Conflict Resolution too.). All for our good. Be encouraged LR DII people. Press on. ...and pmcs religiously. Oh, and pray (w/out ceasing.) Amen. I raise those hallelujahs I finally got one. Love the sinner, hate the sin (and the price tag attached, consequence...it is for our sanctification cult members. Lol) Keep on discoveryng y'all. And sharing...Blessings.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Gents, Me again.
I know It's been nearly 12 months since I last reached out... but I have an itch that I cannot scratch... a disco itch if you will 馃暫

You were really helpful last time in pointing out a few make or break items that I would have over looked at... which meant I had to pass on the vehicles I was looking at.
I'm going to see a 2002 4.6L V-8, with 140K KMs which appears to be in great condition - As far as I'm aware the vehicle has been maintained by the owner (who's a mechanic)

Are there any red flags that I should be aware of?
@Richard Gallant mentioned Listening to the engine any knocking, and the temp - I'm assuming these apply to the 99-02 models?

Here's a link to the Ad for reference:

Thanks in advance for the advice, fingers crossed I'll be a proper member of this disco community soon.
@Richard Gallant @reverendALC @bimmertech

Registered
@Lloyd_VS That Disco has had serious water intrusion in the roof (sagged headliner), given it has no sunroofs that is a pretty big red flag for a supposedly well maintained vehicle. Odds are it is the roof rack but still it says volumes about the the level care the owner had - not much.

No safety inspection is another red flag, he is asking 5500.00 CDN I can not imagine a safety/ full vehicle inspection in Ontario is any worse than BC about 160 -200 bucks. And worse you can not licence it without a current safety inspection according to Ontario law.

My suggestion is to leave it and look for another one you might get lucky and it will actually be in good shape but my bet it is not in good shape.

If you chose to go ahead I would offer 3000.00 take or leave it. Point out no safety and the headliner issue.

Ask him to not to start it before you get there, if he has started it and it is warm when you get there, leave do not even go any further he will trying to hide something
And take a code reader and check for codes after a test drive.

One suggestion look for ads that detail all the faults as well as the good. He should have mentioned the headliner and that you would have to get a safety inspection done to license it in the ad

1 - 17 of 17 Posts