Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm loosing my company car so need to get a Tow car for my caravan
I passed my test in a Landrover when I was in the Army.
Since then have always liked them.

When I have been looking for a 10 year old diesal Auto model, I have seen loads of posts on the net slating the Disco and saying so un reliable you are mad etc?

I have about £5k to spend firstly should I ?

Secondly what would be the best model etc, any advice welcome

Cheers

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Hi, I'm loosing my company car so need to get a Tow car for my caravan
I passed my test in a Landrover when I was in the Army.
Since then have always liked them.

When I have been looking for a 10 year old diesal Auto model, I have seen loads of posts on the net slating the Disco and saying so un reliable you are mad etc?

I have about £5k to spend firstly should I ?

Secondly what would be the best model etc, any advice welcome

Cheers
Do a search here and you will see MANY posts on buying a Disco. However, since you are across the pond and looking at a diesel, I would recommend posting on more "local", LR websites. They will give you much more accurate info on the diesel side of the equation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had 2, 2003-Disco's.
LOVED THEM and HATED THEM!!
Never have I driven a more comfortable 4X4.
Never have I missed a vehicle so much.
Gas guzzler? ...Yes
Capable off road ... BIG YES.
Unfortunately there was a major issue with the oil pump on model vin#'s 3A771801 – 3A808362. There is in fact an internal Technical Report issued by Landrover explaining the issue, and its cause.
Here's an excerpt from another site:
Excerpt from Landrover:
Land Rover vin #s from 3A771801 through 3A808362 are manufacture problem engines.
The problem is as follows; Oil pump failures on 2003 Discovery Series II have dowel pins slightly misaligned permitting assembly of the oil pump to the engine block
placing stress on the pump housing which can ultimately lead to leakage or pump failure.
The Resolution by Land Rover;
Whenever an oil pump failure is encountered on vehicles within the above VIN range, the ONLY EFFECTIVE REPAIR currently available is REPLACEMENT OF THE COMPLETE ENGINE assembly, including front cover/oil pump manufactured to the latest tolerances.

This of course applies to gas, not diesel, but just a heads up if you plan to look at gas as well.

BTW. I will be buying another Landrover Discovery (2004), probably in the coming year.
I will however take it in, and have the oil pump examined and have whatever needs to be done, done, before I make it a daily driver.
Good Luck!
Andrew L.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Do a search here and you will see MANY posts on buying a Disco. However, since you are across the pond and looking at a diesel, I would recommend posting on more "local", LR websites. They will give you much more accurate info on the diesel side of the equation.
X2. We don't have diesels here in the US. The petrol engine has certain issues but these are probably not the same as the diesels. Local forum would be a good place to look.

·
Joe Btfsplk
86 Posts
Les:
Wow! Hello from the colonies! I am a Canadian, but I live in South Africa, and I drive a Td5 Disco 2.
Here is the lowdown; check the service history on whatever you buy. the first problem in the UK with the older Discos is - RUST!!! We don't have much of that problem here in Johannesburg, but in the UK I hear they fall apart pretty regularly. The key to happy Disco ownership is how well the owners have taken care of the car. You need to be proactive with maintenance, not waiting until something breaks to check it and repair it. If you know how to spin your own wrenches (spanners?) you will do much better. Spare parts are not a problem. Now, after that, here is the list;
1.) The electronics can cause problems. Check out the internet on Disco 2 "three amigos" problems. This is where the hill descent, traction control and ABS warning lights all come on at the same time. You may wish to invest in an OBDll reader for the car.
2.) Front drive shafts (propshafts). In their wisdom, they took out the grease points in the universal joints. If they fail, particularly the front one, it will take out your tranny (gearbox).
3.) Transmission (gearbox). If it is an Automatic box, watch out for stiff, clunky shifts, a sign it is about to go out.
4.) Check to see if the car has done any deep water crossings, and check out the diffs and transfer case oil. If it is milky, change it.
5.) Window winder mechanisms and motors are notorious for needing replacement.
6.) Rear door latch mechanisms are weak.
7.) If the car has considerable mileage (100,000 +) you will need to check the turbo carefully.
8.) Check the motor mounts on the Td5, they are know for needing replacement.
9.) The exhaust manifold warps and shears the studs off. Check this carefully.
10.) The wiring harness to the ECU fills with oil from the engine and shorts out, causing things to go seriously wonky. It may need replacement.
11.) Don't expect wonderful fuel economy, particularly when pulling a trailer. That being said, the diesel is much better than the petrol version.
12.) Watch for the 'death wobble' if the front end is worn.
13.) If the rear air suspension does not work, don't try and repair it, replace the air bags with coil springs.
14.) the temperature gauge is useless. It will not register high engine temps until it is too late. Either get an aftermarket temp gauge or install an engine management system like Madman or Little Black Box.

Sounds scary, doesn't it? Just keep on top of it and it is one of the nicest cars you can drive. You can buy a 'soulless" Toyota or get a car with soul and panache - a Land Rover! A friend of mine (2012 Prado owner) on a recent off road trip said this: " I could have spent one fifth the money I did, bought a Disco 2, and had just as much fun on the trail." By the way, his Toyota broke down on the way. Follow all the forums like this one and the 4x4 community forum in South Africa. I hope you find one!!! There is PLENTY of info on the internet on all these issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all for the advice

I have plenty of time to look for a good one that has been looked after,
All your advice will be invaluable .....

It's one of those things... I have always wanted one so I will take my time and then take the plunge.

I will keep my eye on the forum and use for reference..

Thanks again.

·
Joe Btfsplk
86 Posts
I hope I didn't talk you out of it!

I think you talked him out of the disco. Lol
Disco Biscuit:
Yeah, I may have said too much all at once, but it is accurate! Not too many have the Td5 diesel so I thought I could help. However, as I have said elsewhere, I used to drive Chevy pickups when I lived in Canada. If I were to list all the problems they had, it would have been longer. Even the so called 'bullet proof' Toyotas have issues. If you are informed ahead of time of all the issues, they aren't so scary, at least in my mind. I have one, I like it, I recommend it, but it takes a bit of care to keep it reliable. I love my Landy! :drive:

And Les, please do keep on contributing to this forum! I need a good contact in the UK for spares in
South Africa!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.