Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I'm new here. Don't own a LR yet but I'm researching lr3's. I found an 06 with 58k for $16.5. Good deal? My main concern is the car fax. It had an accident with the first owner, not a huge deal, but it's had three owners. The second had it a year and the last on only 6 months. Does it sound like someone dumping their problem? Could be money troubles or many other reasons I guess.

With an LR 3, all things being equal, would you rather have a newer, say 08, with more miles, 70-80k or an older one 05-06 with fewer miles, around 50 like the one mentioned and linked?
Thanks for any insight.

2006 Land Rover LR3, $16,490 - Cars.com

CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 2006 LAND ROVER LR3 SE

·
Registered
356 Posts
regardless the miles, that seems pretty expensive for a 5 passenger v6 rover that's been wrecked.. i'd pass
keep looking for an 06 and up

·
Registered
63 Posts
No 6. Look harder buddy. I just bought an 08 4.4 with 9k winch from an estate sale with 14,900 miles clean title for 22.5. Look at the classified on the rover websites. Clean titles and low miles balanced with your budget on these trucks is key. Get one an enthusiast had may help.

·
Super Trooper
1,176 Posts
Forget the car fax and stick with dealership records. Not everything gets reported to car fax and even the stuff that does is vague. You'll see things like "electrical system checked" and "maintenance completed". What does that mean? What was checked? Why was it checked? What maintenance was done? Oil change or complete front to back, top to bottom service? Who knows.

Colin

·
1,854 Posts
I agree!
When I went to purchase mine. I called the LR dealer that originally sold the car and got all the paper work on it to see what had been done.
Dave

·
Registered
210 Posts
Forget the car fax and stick with dealership records. Not everything gets reported to car fax and even the stuff that does is vague. You'll see things like "electrical system checked" and "maintenance completed". What does that mean? What was checked? Why was it checked? What maintenance was done? Oil change or complete front to back, top to bottom service? Who knows.

Colin
x2 on this. Definitely look for service record history. Carfax is pretty much useless in my opinion, it's a marketing tool. I would be more concerned with having thorough service records and making sure a competent Rover mechanic looks it over for a pre purchase inspection than worrying about year, mileage, etc. That being said, it seems that finding a newer one seems to be the strategy that works best as the 07,08,etc seem to have had some of the glitches worked out more than the first 2 model years.

·
1,854 Posts
Year I don't think matters that much. My 05 has been very reliable, cross country NYC to LA twice in winter storms, off road in the Cali desert and rocks in 116F for 7 hrs. Just make sure certain things where taken care of (no leaks & good Diffs or that both have been taken care of).
Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Think everyone. To be honest, I'm going between an LR3 and a Jeep Commander. I can afford to buy either. I'm a little worried about affording to own the LR3.
Kind of shifting gears on the thread, what is your average cost of ownership? Not payment, just routine maintenance and the not so $routine$.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Build quality of Jeep is terrible and honestly they are no more reliable. have you driven both? no way i could ever bring myself to drive a commander after driving a rover

keep up on your service with a rover and it should do just fine. have over 180k on mine. of course i am meticulous about service and if something needs repaired i don't wait till i'm stranded

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Build quality of Jeep is terrible and honestly they are no more reliable. have you driven both? no way i could ever bring myself to drive a commander after driving a rover

keep up on your service with a rover and it should do just fine. have over 180k on mine. of course i am meticulous about service and if something needs repaired i don't wait till i'm stranded
I hear what you're saying. I've driven a Commander. It's nice. I realize it's no Rover. I own a 4 door wrangler right now. Love it and it's bee rock solid, but I'm getting old and want a little more comfort

·
1,854 Posts
My LR3 has only needed oil changes every 6000+K miles, and break pads.
Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.