Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a used 2003 Disco 2- Getting the oil pump problem fixed now-

Garage told me that I am running 6 cal with 2 not firing well- TUrns out to be the original plugs and wires. Thought about doing this myself and see that I need to take off part of the top of the engine- then I checked prices on wires and they went from 30-200!

What has worked well for you for the plugs/wires and is this DIY?

Radiator hoses original too-hard to change?

Thank you

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
How mechanical are you, have you read my mayor service list at the top of this section and how many miles on your engine?
If you are at or over 100,000 miles then have the shop replace your timing chain also.
For wires 8 mm silicone STI or Magnacor wires from British Parts of Utah and either Bosch Platinum Plus 4's or E3 # 48 are the 2 better plugs.

· Registered
83 Posts
I taked with Mike the other day about the e3.48's. Went to O'Reilly today and picked up all 8 for just over $50. My truck runs smoother than ever before and has noticeably more pickup and torque. Quite astonishing how much of a difference they made for me. STI wires.

· Registered
83 Posts
I understand that the manifold has to come off- how long does that take
I didn't have to take mine off! I have a standard extended socket, not a super specific 5/8 spark plug socket, and it fit well, a little bit of work and it was done. Took about an hour or so, with a broken thumb. :D

You may want to put some electrical tape on the inside of the socket, down the sides, as this will create a tighter seal for you to go in and screw the new one in.

· And I didn't even submit a proposal...
202 Posts
I understand that the (upper plenum?)manifold has to come off- how long does that take
Some people do it with the plenum in place. I tried but couldn't. It took me about 6 hours to remove the plenum, replace the wires and plugs, and put it all back. But I worked slowly and methodically. A stable one foot high step is probably the most important tool for that job.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any performance difference between these and LR original parts?

How mechanical are you, have you read my mayor service list at the top of this section and how many miles on your engine?
If you are at or over 100,000 miles then have the shop replace your timing chain also.
For wires 8 mm silicone STI or Magnacor wires from British Parts of Utah and either Bosch Platinum Plus 4's or E3 # 48 are the 2 better plugs.
Thanks Mike, I called BP of Utah and they were great- but they said something that I want to ask about. The discussed that the original LR wires may have (for lack of a better word) a "cap" or something that the STI wires didn't have- Is this point of attachment necessary for 100% performance of the LR or will the STI work and attach just as well?

Thanks

· Registered
83 Posts
Thanks Mike, I called BP of Utah and they were great- but they said something that I want to ask about. The discussed that the original LR wires may have (for lack of a better word) a "cap" or something that the STI wires didn't have- Is this point of attachment necessary for 100% performance of the LR or will the STI work and attach just as well?

Thanks
I am running STI wires, they work great...

· Registered
115 Posts
I installed Kingsborne 8mm wires and Bosch Platinum +4 plugs a few weeks ago. I did the wires w/o removing the intake. It was tight. I removed all the wires off the coils. Did the lower row then the upper row.

· Registered
5 Posts
I put 8.55mm Magnegor wires on twice and will never use them again. The last time I replaced them one of the wires came apart when removing it from the plug, which has NEVER happened to me in 30 years. You cannot repair Magnecor wires, so I was left to redo the entire tear-down and re-assembly, which really pissed me off. Also, the wires failed after less than 30k miles. :complain:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.