Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello everyone. Have been searched the whole forum but just couldn't find a thread that is related to my question. And here I am.

Got a discovery 3 last months, it's a 2005 TDV6-S. Feel so good with everything, just not satisfy with the headlights - they're halogen ones - But I desire HIDs. I know change the bulbs and install the ballasts is easy, but the tough part is, it's really hard to find someone who is good at installing the projector lens. So, I'm wondering can I just simply change the entire assembly to xenon one?

I went for dealer for advise but been told if I just install the xenon assembly headlight without changing wiring, it won't work. Friends say dealer gives **** sometimes coz they are not allowed to tell you the truth. And how I wish I could have someone's assembly to test but unfortunately I don't. I gotta purchase from UK, long distance, and really don't wanna waste the postage -after I install it but nothing happens, doesn't even light up.

Can anyone here to help? Please advise do halogen assembly directly upgrade to xenon one work? What needs to be done or anything I should know, or, it's not a big concern at all and definitely they will work successfully - just pull out the old halogen assembly and push in the xenon assembly as easy as I start the engine?:D

Anyway, will be really really appreciate it and grateful for any comments!:clap::drink1:

·
Registered
662 Posts
yes it can and not a big deal

I will see if I can find you some links, perhaps tomorrow.

The guys in the UK do it all the time. It is not cheap but it is easy. You purchase used HID non adaptive, (no swivel), from a wrecker, remove the existing, and install the new used assemblies. The connectors just plug to the existing vehicle connectors; no CCF modifications are required as best I recall.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will see if I can find you some links, perhaps tomorrow.

The guys in the UK do it all the time. It is not cheap but it is easy. You purchase used HID non adaptive, (no swivel), from a wrecker, remove the existing, and install the new used assemblies. The connectors just plug to the existing vehicle connectors; no CCF modifications are required as best I recall.
Thanks so much @bber!
I found the link below yesterday, it gave as the same words as you say, "adaptive assembly would work", "plug and play".
Halogen to Xenon headlight swap [Archive] - Land Rover and Range Rover Forums

Then I see your comments now, so it has been confirmed definitely it will work! Fantastic! Gonna go to eBay UK and see what will I find. Damn happy now!:drive:

Thx again! Will be back after the new headlights installed.:drink1:

·
Registered
662 Posts
Link re installing factory HIDs to replace factory Halogens

Below is the link on disco3 regarding replacement of the stock Halogen headlight assemblies with stock HID projector headlight assemblies obtained from a wrecking yard.

DISCO3.CO.UK - View topic - xenon headlights

·
Registered
662 Posts
Looks like success.

That mod looks pretty good to me.
You will actually enjoy the lights - the HID really are an improvement. It is one mod where even SWMBO will agree it was worthwhile. The pictures are appreciated.

I assume the install went OK, that is just plug and play as advertised?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That mod looks pretty good to me.
You will actually enjoy the lights - the HID really are an improvement. It is one mod where even SWMBO will agree it was worthwhile. The pictures are appreciated.

I assume the install went OK, that is just plug and play as advertised?
Hey @bbyer thx for the info you provided, yea I did buy them on eBay UK from a wrecking yard and they cost me around 450 pounds including postage. Everything went fine, plug and play, couldn't be easier.

The set was cheap but, very hazy and lots of scratches on the cover! The previous owner must be using it under very extreme condition damn it. :buttrock:Now I gotta replace those plastic covers with my old ones - coz compare with the new ones, they are still shiny shiny! Thought using wetsanding to remove the oxidation layer, since I dont have the UV equipment to reseal them and it means I have to do it again after few months! So I d better just replace them.

·
Registered
662 Posts
heat gun, not the oven

I assume you have seen the various links regarding removal of the clear plastic covers? There are apparently two basic techniques: a) a heat gun or b) your kitchen oven.

If I were to do it, I would be using a heat gun. No one yet has totally melted their light assembly with a heat gun; the same cannot be said re the oven technique.

If you are searching for links, use "detango or de tango" as a search word. That is apparently UK speak for removal of some or all of the yellow plastic coloured lens material to achieve a clear look. Yellow signal light bulbs are then used to get a yellow indicator.

Anyway, to remove the yellow plastic, one has to get the clear cover off; it seems a popular mod, hence a good search word.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Worth trying

I assume you have seen the various links regarding removal of the clear plastic covers? There are apparently two basic techniques: a) a heat gun or b) your kitchen oven.

If I were to do it, I would be using a heat gun. No one yet has totally melted their light assembly with a heat gun; the same cannot be said re the oven technique.

If you are searching for links, use "detango or de tango" as a search word. That is apparently UK speak for removal of some or all of the yellow plastic coloured lens material to achieve a clear look. Yellow signal light bulbs are then used to get a yellow indicator.

Anyway, to remove the yellow plastic, one has to get the clear cover off; it seems a popular mod, hence a good search word.
Yep I will definitely use heat gun to take off the clear cover. I really don't wanna smell it melting and mixed with chicken wings and pizza flavour lolz

About the "detango", yes I've read some articles before, it is fun. Although I personally think with that little yellow plastic it looks better. But you are right, so many people did that, it is still worth trying tho, once I take off the cover I will try to remove it and see how does it really look like on my car. Maybe I will like it after I done that ;)

·
Registered
662 Posts
I also like the yellow.

I guess I prefer the traditional look as well, be it chrome name lettering, yellow side light markers or the big red tail lights at the rear.

I note the current crop of 4's seem to have only clear head light covers so I guess that is why the desire for the de tango look. In any case, those guys certainly know how to get the lens off and back on successfully.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess I prefer the traditional look as well, be it chrome name lettering, yellow side light markers or the big red tail lights at the rear.

I note the current crop of 4's seem to have only clear head light covers so I guess that is why the desire for the de tango look. In any case, those guys certainly know how to get the lens off and back on successfully.
Haven't been to here for quite a long time.;)

Done some mods, including change the clear cover of headlights as I said before, and updating the grille to D4 style. Here it is.

:drive:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not sure if anyone has input on LR4 Halogen to Xenon conversion, but this thread seems to be the only thing I can find. We currently have LR3 with xenon and in looking for a new/used LR4 appears many have Halogen. That said the headlamp assemblies and plug look the same for Xenon, so I am hoping you can convert just like this LR3 thread. Anyone know the answer or have recommendations on where to find out? I prefer factory HID assemblies not aftermarket.

Thanks

·
Registered
662 Posts
You have an LR4 with halogen headlights?

I think what you said is that you have an LR4 with factory Halogen headlights and want to replace them to factory Xenon?

I do not know much about the LR4 however I know that you will not be using anything LR3 in the LR4 front end - while they look sort of the same, they are not, nor are the fenders - hood might be, but not the fenders and front area.

Below is a link to a discussion related to the D4 but in brief, just buy a set of xenon headlights from a wrecked LR4 and plug them in. There is some discussion about revising the CCF, but that does not seem to be needed for the LR3 so the thinking is the LR4 would not require any changes.

A lot of these mods, you just spend the money and try it out.

DISCO3.CO.UK - View topic - Halogen to Xenon Conversion

Here is another link that suggests it is just not plug and play. Reply #10 is the interesting one.

http://landroverforums.com/forum/lr4-38/tried-installing-kensun-hid-kit-crazy-thing-happened-67497/

If you end up experimenting, let us know how it works out - good or bad.

·
1,854 Posts
Here is what a de tango and updated grille looks like. Or without De tango and silver grille.
Dave

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.