Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm working on a bumper to be sold to the masses. Need your input. I can build a minimalistic style rock crawler bumper that will require you to remove the washer fluid tank or I can build a complete front bumper replacement that will allow the washer tank to stay. They both look & function good.

I've attached pictures of VERY crude design templates we are looking at. Please understand that the finished design angles and measurements will not be exactly like this. Just trying to give you a feel for the project.

Question #1 - Do we care about the washer tank?
Question #2 - Do we want the rock crawler style or full bumper style?
Question #3 - Should we offer both?

Thanks in advance for your input guys and gals.

Attachments

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd say that's a good looking bumper. I'd guess the stinger is not functional, except for holding the light? I'd like to see the under side. Is that pretty much the only winch that will work with it? Did you cut out the round support bar in between the frame rails? It is nice man. It's just hard to make a product that will adapt to mass opinion, and work for the winch, light, and function needs of many. We'll get there.

· Registered
9 Posts
the stinger is welded through the 1/4 in plate supported all the way around it is made out of seamless DOM tubing ( same stuff I used to build a race car chassis ) it is plenty strong not sure id want to pull it out of a deep mudhole on the stinger though lol theres alot of mechanical advantage but damn straight it i was buried that far id give it a go ...LOL... as far as winch options it will fit warn and any major brand small body winch...the one it is a smitty built 12000 water proof with wireless ..I had to extend the cables up into the engine bay and they actually fit perfectly under the battery cover...I can send you some pics of underneath if ya want ...but basically it is bolted to the frame horns with 1/2 grade 8 bolts I also used the sway bar mounting bolt farther back for a little extra support on the bottom it is way better supported than alot of the aftermarket stuff out there and it was strong enough to pull my 8000 pound excursion diesel no problem so I think it will hold :drink1:

· Registered
9 Posts
Oh and yes I took out the round support bar that thing is useless i can bend it with just my weight on it .....I tied both rails together with 1/4 2x2 box tubing between the 1/4 inch mounts also the winch plate itself I made out of 3/8 steel plate so there is way more support there now

· Registered
1,166 Posts
I'm working on a bumper to be sold to the masses. Need your input. I can build a minimalistic style rock crawler bumper that will require you to remove the washer fluid tank or I can build a complete front bumper replacement that will allow the washer tank to stay. They both look & function good.

I've attached pictures of VERY crude design templates we are looking at. Please understand that the finished design angles and measurements will not be exactly like this. Just trying to give you a feel for the project.

Question #1 - Do we care about the washer tank?
Question #2 - Do we want the rock crawler style or full bumper style?
Question #3 - Should we offer both?

Thanks in advance for your input guys and gals.
Ever wonder why there are so many options out there now? Everybody want's something different.
You say sold to the masses. Does that mean cheap? I'd wager that after you factor in a realistic hourly rate for your labor plus your materials that you will not be able to drastically undercut many of the other options out there.
To break into an already saturated market, your going to have to offer something that the others don't. What is it?

· Registered
9 Posts
hate to say it I agree with helievacpilot that's why I built my own I didn't really like a lot of the options out there and the prices of the ones I did like I couldn't justify ...I build a lot of stuff for friends and when I do every single one of them has there opinion on what they would like to see in a bumper or sliders or roof rack no one size fits all kinda thing ...and because of this always making a one of kinda thing it gets to be pretty hard to build something truly cost effective when you factor in your time to build that's why usually I only do stuff for buddies I am not trying to turn a profit off ...or people that are willing to give me as much time as it takes to build it for them.....I tried having a business that built custom one of cars and trucks and lets just say I learned the hard way its hard to make a living doing that hence why now i own a tire and mechanical shop....lol

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, You're both right. You can't please everybody. I'm pretty sure though, that I can get prices in a respectable area. These guys are raping people. $700 and up for a bumper...really? Design is also limited by the design of the vehicle. Just gonna try to do my best at that. Not out to get rich, but if I could help a few folks pimp their ride a little, without breaking the wallet, I'll do it. And, people will be buy from me because of the way I do business. I'll just leave it all in the Good Lord's hands, and I'll enjoy myself while I'm doing it. I do appreciate all the feedback guys.

· Registered
1,166 Posts
Well, You're both right. You can't please everybody. I'm pretty sure though, that I can get prices in a respectable area. These guys are raping people. $700 and up for a bumper...really? Design is also limited by the design of the vehicle. Just gonna try to do my best at that. Not out to get rich, but if I could help a few folks pimp their ride a little, without breaking the wallet, I'll do it. And, people will be buy from me because of the way I do business. I'll just leave it all in the Good Lord's hands, and I'll enjoy myself while I'm doing it. I do appreciate all the feedback guys.
Don't say "pimp your ride". Makes you sound like a tool. I am curious though as to how much value you are putting on your time and the actual time you are allotting for each build. Are you going to build on a jig? I don't think I could "enjoy" myself unless I was charging 100.00/hr for my time plus materials. Unless you can fab and weld at crazy speeds, I don't see the profit. But that's just me. Your also going to have to factor in massive shipping costs. Are you going to eat that?
Are you going to offer a winch option? These are 4x4's after all and I think you will lose a lot of sales without it.
Lastly, I'm no lawyer, but I would have to think that some sort of liability problems might arise as well. Worth looking into if your thinking of seriously doing this.
Not trying to be a "dream crusher", as my kids like to call me sometimes, but sometimes you have to play the "devil's advocate".

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you knew me, you'd know the "pimp your ride" was in jest. Let me worry about how I enjoy myself, what my time is worth, and profitability. As I said, I'm pretty sure I can get it done, have a quality product, and make it affordable. There will be a winch option, of course. I can't control shipping costs, but If I could have dealers in different locations, that would help. I've got good lawyers. I appreciate your concern, and feel for your children. By the way, your bumper will cost twice the price!

· Registered
1,166 Posts
If you knew me, you'd know the "pimp your ride" was in jest. Let me worry about how I enjoy myself, what my time is worth, and profitability. As I said, I'm pretty sure I can get it done, have a quality product, and make it affordable. There will be a winch option, of course. I can't control shipping costs, but If I could have dealers in different locations, that would help. I've got good lawyers. I appreciate your concern, and feel for your children. By the way, your bumper will cost twice the price!
I love how people come to public forums, ask for opinions, and when they don't hear what they want, they get personal and whine like little girls.
Sure, you can make a profit if you pay yourself slave wages. Half price with all the quality? Come back when your done and we'll see about that. Right now, your all mouth with a few paper cut-outs.
The very premise of your original post demonstrates you have very little knowledge of LR's and the aftermarket out there for them.
You've got a re-invent of the wheel? Hike up your skirt and prove it.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok...calm down keypad tough guy. I've been in the aftermarket industry for 28 years. I'll also be the first to admit that I don't have any experience with the LR. I did come on a forum to get advice and suggestions from people who have been around LR. I'll be glad to take, and use any suggestions I get. But, you didn't make any. You are trying to tell me how to run a business. And once again, I don't need any help there. I you don't have anything constructive to say, about the bumper, get back to your game of candy crush.

· Joe Btfsplk
86 Posts
greenchevy:
I also think the liability issue would worry me. Will your bumper certify that it will work with the airbags on the car in a front collision? Will it support the car while I use a hi-lift jack? Will it support the weight if I want to be recovered from the mud with a snatch strap? That is why some bumpers are so expensive, they include thorough engineering in the design, and I am willing to pay for that. I am not saying yours won't work, but a lot more goes into the design of a proper 4x4 bumper than most people think. Just my 2 cents worth.
BTW, to answer your questions;
Question #1 - Do we care about the washer tank?- I would, the more you can leave stock the better, for me.... I use my car as a daily driver.
Question #2 - Do we want the rock crawler style or full bumper style? Full bumper style. For me. Should have a spot for fog lights, high lift jack points, and recovery hooks or a place to mount shackles, or at least the option to purchase these at extra cost.
Question #3 - Should we offer both? Why not? A bash plate or maybe some rock sliders to complement your bumper might be a good way to add value, too. What about a rear bumper?

I don't mean to discourage a potential supplier of reasonably priced accessories. It is just that the U.S.A. is such a litigious society, I would be afraid of getting sued. Why not build a few, find out how much they cost, and sell them here in South Africa to test the market? There is definitely a market for D2 front bumpers here. To illustrate, there is a used ARB front bumper for sale for a D2 right now for USD500. And that is a pretty good deal. And, as an added bonus, you won't get sued if something happens, South Africans expect value for money but are pretty good at accepting responsibility if they do something stupid.

Finally, do you need a product tester who will give loads of free advertising? I need a free front bumper for my car.....

Have fun!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.