Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I recently bought a aftermarket head unit to replace the factory one. Was tired of climbing under the passenger seat to change cd's etc. Has anyone dealt with the Scosche SLC-4 converter box during install. The company I ordered the unit from says its required so the head unit doesn't push too much power to the factory amp. I have read a few threads on various LR forums but no mention of the SLC-4. The unit came with the wiring harness that is supposed to integrate the factory amp. The converter box isn't going to fit in the dash with the head unit so i'll have to relocate it, thinking about cutting a recessed spot in the foam on the panel under the steering column 1 for easy future access if needed and 2 seems to be the easiest spot to get the wires ran without taking anything off the console (this is where I ran the microphone to mount on the instrument cluster). Links below to what I ordered.

Pioneer DEH-X6700BT CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

Metra 70-1786 Receiver Wiring Harness Connect a new car stereo in select 1994-2008 Chrysler, Land Rover, Mercedes, and Saab vehicles at Crutchfield.com

Scosche SLC4 Line Output Converter Convert speaker connections to line-level preamp connections in mobile audio applications at Crutchfield.com

Thanks!

Will post pics of install

·
disco biscuit
1,061 Posts
I'll not 100% sure but I believe that box is a step down for pre amp outputs. It can go under the seat by the amp. I would almost bet you don't need the factory amp anymore with 50w output on the radio. You might be able to splice the wires taking the amp out of the equation....worth looking into some more.

Here's one thread.
http://www.landroversonly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59150

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Went ahead and did the install with the "box". Went with the under the dash location basically to save time on hiding and running wires and rca's. everything is up and running, had to change settings on the box, has a setup for integration with factory amps however that setting isn't the one it needed to be on. flick of a switch and ding ding. I did think about ditching the factory amp, but that will be another day when I decide to replace the factory speakers all the way around. will post some pics tomorrow time permitting. Cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ran the 8 speaker wires from the head units powerplug/harness to the blue box, then rca cables from the blue box back to the rca cables that are on the metra 70-1786. need extra rca cables and 4 extensions.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been trying to figure out how to swap out just my head unit and this is the first thread I've come across that explains what is needed.
Going to order the various parts and a newer HU (since this was 8 years ago).
Just jumping in to say thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Okay cool. It has the Harmon system, but it also has an old and failing aftermarket head unit already. I haven't pulled it yet to see how that was connected.
Also seem to have an aftermarket 4channel amp under drivers seat and a 2 channel under passenger.

I know next to nothing about audio

1 - 8 of 8 Posts