Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys
I’m considering replacing the radio cassette player in my 94 D1 and putting in an aftermarket radio CD. I don’t want to prat around with a change’s, coz I’ve had them before and they just don’t suit the way I listen to music CD. I would rather be able to change CD at the unit when I want.
Questions
Is this doable?
What units would be good.
Will any unit do? IE a half decent unit for Best Buy $100 or so.
Are there LR amps etc that I need to deal with??
Should I not even go there?

Any help would be great.

· Registered
386 Posts
i replaced my 97 d1 radio head with a kenwood...i love it. wasn't too hard to install..did it myself....i kept the factory amp too. email me or something when you get the head and i will answer any wiring questions you have.....also...look for one with rca jacks if you are ever gonna think about puttin in subwoofers....or new speakers with a bigger amp.

· Registered
674 Posts
SID: I have a 95 RRC - ditto on the way I listen to music. I sold the old head unit and changer on eBay. It is actually quite easy I put in the new Pioneer headset - it is awesome, got cool graphics display and all. The only "issue" you have will be the adaptor. Each unit will have a different adaptor to plug into from the OEM wiring, you will be best off to pay a visit tot hte local swap shop and they will sell it to you for around $10, then just slide it in, fix the facia and sit back and mellow out.....I also replaced my speakers with MB Quart and left the amp and disconnected the sub - SOUNDS AWESOME NOW!:buttrock:

· Registered
21 Posts
Hi Guys
I’m considering replacing the radio cassette player in my 94 D1 and putting in an aftermarket radio CD. I don’t want to prat around with a change’s, coz I’ve had them before and they just don’t suit the way I listen to music CD. I would rather be able to change CD at the unit when I want.
Questions
Is this doable?
What units would be good.
Will any unit do? IE a half decent unit for Best Buy $100 or so.
Are there LR amps etc that I need to deal with??
Should I not even go there?

Any help would be great.

you already replaced the radio? im try ,but no have sound and did every step well. can you help me?

· Registered
33 Posts
you already replaced the radio? im try ,but no have sound and did every step well. can you help me?
Make sure none of your speaker wires are touching ground or eachother at the locations where you had to splice them together.

As for the wiring harness, I would be really supprised if you could find one to plug into the original connector. Just get a universal one and wire it up.

Use a test light to find your ground and two power leads from the old connector. All of the speaker wires converged under my passenger side seat (under the carpet where the two pieces meet). Run new speaker wire from the head unit to there and splice them in. This bypasses the crappy oem amp, as your head unit will likely have more power and better sound anyway.

Cant help you with the oem subs, as I have an aftermarket one. Are they even usable? Mine were terribly degraded, and falling apart. I took them out, and the enclosure, and the stupid rear door pocket that only had a couple of screws left holding it in anyway. The extra 3"-4" of space at the back of the cargo area makes a big difference IMO.

· Registered
478 Posts
I went thru this on my 95 classic over the summer, I purchased all my stuff from crutchfield.... depending on model you may need a line out converter to be able to use the factory amp and the wire adaptor said it fit a vw.

· Registered
4,797 Posts
I went thru this on my 95 classic over the summer, I purchased all my stuff from crutchfield.... depending on model you may need a line out converter to be able to use the factory amp and the wire adaptor said it fit a vw.
This is the course to follow.

You'll likely need a level converter. I get mine at Wal-Mart.

· Registered
378 Posts
i rewired mine,used a ground loop isolator, and used the factory speaker wiring, didnt use the amp power wires... and gutted the extra controls for the steering wheel area buttons. there should be at least one rca connector for use with the factory sub, though i wouldnt use it either, as its , "crap". Alpine Cdm-9821 with ipod aux, Infinity 4" kappa speakers, with wood ring extensions on front door panels. as aftermarkets wont fit in the enclosure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.