Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I added 2 inch spring spacers to my 2000 Disco II and now I need to replace the shocks with some that have two more inches of travel. I dont really want to buy old man emu due to the prices. Ive been looking at Pro Comp and Rancho on the internet for around $150 for a set of 4. They both make OEM replacement shocks but I need some with longer travel. When shopping for shocks what specs do I need to be looking for:confused ? compressed length?, full extension length?, mount bolt size?

Anyone have suggestions?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
ProComp has a 2" extended version for the DII with lifetime warranty. ANY extended shock requires longer brake lines and also removal of the front bolt-on crossmember under the front driveshaft.
ANY of those shocks would probably be fine-

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Extended brake lines? When I put the 2 inch spacers on I had the truck on jackstands so that I could get the shocks and springs out to get the blocks bolted on. I had the exel dropped as far as I could get it to go, even when I stood on the brake rotor to wedge the 2 inch spacer in, I had plenty of brake line slack left. I dont think Ill need extended lines to add longer travel shocks.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
OK- all the DII's I've worked on so far had the brake lines pulled tight even with a stock shock at full drop. Just be carefull... check and double check.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought some Pro Comp shocks off the 4wheelparts.com and I ordered them with 2 inches more of travel above the stock length to compensate for the 2 inch spacers. I took it mudding last weekend and no problems. I drove it up onto a mound to test the articulation and brake lines to see if I needed longer lines. I pulled up at and angle and stopped just as the driver rear wheel broke free from the ground and started spinning. I got out and looked at the brake lines and there were pulled straight but there was still some slack in the line so I think Ill be fine. By the way 4wheelparts.com has some great deals. I got 4 Pro Comp shocks with boots and a free steering stabilizer for $135.00. No sales tax and free shipping. They are very knowledgable about their products and will help you fit any vehicle.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
I agree with Think, save your money and buy some good OME's. Yes they are more expensive, but their performance is worth it. Most of the people I know, in two differend Rover clubs, runs OME's and they swear by them.
Granted they don't have a lifetime warranty, but they do out perform all other aftermarket shock, excluding the Bilsteins.
You are currently running on warn out factory springs and slapping on a set of inexpensive shocks is not going to accomplish much.
Just a thought.
Mike J.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Just because they are inexpensive doesn't mean they suck. ProComp probably sells 50 shocks for every one OME.
$135? Were those ES9000s or the lower end ones?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
fvbrry said:
I bought some Pro Comp shocks off the 4wheelparts.com and I ordered them with 2 inches more of travel above the stock length to compensate for the 2 inch spacers. I took it mudding last weekend and no problems. I drove it up onto a mound to test the articulation and brake lines to see if I needed longer lines. I pulled up at and angle and stopped just as the driver rear wheel broke free from the ground and started spinning. I got out and looked at the brake lines and there were pulled straight but there was still some slack in the line so I think Ill be fine. By the way 4wheelparts.com has some great deals. I got 4 Pro Comp shocks with boots and a free steering stabilizer for $135.00. No sales tax and free shipping. They are very knowledgable about their products and will help you fit any vehicle.
Driving up a mound is not the same as getting cross axled on a trail.... be very carefull because you will rip out a brake line. Unless of course you will be driving on sidewalks and up snow banks at malls.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Muddy Oval said:
Just because they are inexpensive doesn't mean they suck. ProComp probably sells 50 shocks for every one OME.
$135? Were those ES9000s or the lower end ones?
Well this won't be the first time there has been a disagreement on an issue, but I totally disagree with you.
Just because ProComp sells 50 shocks to everyone of OME's, if that is the case, doesn't ean they are any better or even an equal to an OME. That would be like saying that Corvettes are not as good a car as an Impala cause GM sells 100 plus Impalas to every corvette.
ProComps as well as many other USA made schocks don't have the valving, piston or tubes of most of the European schocks. They are less expensive and better advertised then OME, but they don't sell worth a damm outside the USA.
I don't work for OME, I am just basing this on my experience, my friends and their truck and nearly 20 years in the shop.
Take care,
Mike J.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
It's the economy of scale- not implying quality. A company that sells a LOT more shocks will be able to keep prices lower versus a company that sells few. The last OME thing I bought was USA made too- so I don't know why you think they are European- the claim to be Aussie. You're getting all confused. The last OME casing that I looked at came from teneco, which makes Monroe and ProComp. Fancy that...
They don't sell worth a damn outside the USA? Oh come on... just my shop alone (we are a distributor and wholesale as well as retail) have sold 23,300 ProComp shocks wholesale to overseas distributors in the last 18 months and can account for 6,000 ProComp shocks just through ProComp's U.K. distributors. That doesn't include our domestic retail sales.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes they are ES9000's. OME v/s ProComp I dont really care. They are definately better that the stock shocks and they were a great deal. No I didnt replace the worn springs but it still rides a hell of alot better. As for pulling up on a bank to test the articulation and brake line tension. If the driver rear wheel was lifting off the ground and the passanger rear wheel was stuffed up inside of the fender well I dont think it will flex any more than that and my lines were fine.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
You got a helluva deal- I called them and they didn't know anything about it though... :(

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
This is the deal:

Package Deal: Pro Comp Super Shocking Deal - only $135.99

Pro Comp ES3000 Shocks can't get any more affordable! You receive 4 Twin Tube ES3000 Shocks for only $135.99

Bonus! Bonus! Bonus!
Get a ES2000 Steering Stabilizer and 5 Shock Boots if you order now!
Steering Stabilizer bracket kits for most applications are sold Separately

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
What ever happened to Deutch-tech shocks? (not sure if I spelt that correctly)..

·
Registered
97 Posts
Those are ES3000's! I contacted ProComp corporate in San Diego and they informed me that they still do not manufacture shocks for the DII. If I remember correctly, Steve mentioned something about his company DAP as having the ES9000's custom built for DII by ProComp, but I couldn't find them on his cos. site. Nor is anyone at Rovers North aware of ProComp shocks for the DII either, at least the one I spoke to. May I ask what the specific part numbers for the ProComp ES9000 for the DII's are or are we talking about the need for modifications on one of their existing shocks to fit the DII?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
We have them custom made... we are the only ones who have them. They are ES9000's. We don't sell the ES3000's. Our 9000's are only slightly more than their 3's, and the point is moot because they don't have them.
I'm the only one who does and they aren't on my web site yet. You MUST use extended brake lines with them as they are +2".
Even the DI ProComps- we designed the +2" for Rovers. Other places now carry them, we originated them and sell them cheaper.

·
Registered
97 Posts
02disco2 said:
This is the deal:

Package Deal: Pro Comp Super Shocking Deal - only $135.99

Pro Comp ES3000 Shocks can't get any more affordable! You receive 4 Twin Tube ES3000 Shocks for only $135.99

Bonus! Bonus! Bonus!
Get a ES2000 Steering Stabilizer and 5 Shock Boots if you order now!
Steering Stabilizer bracket kits for most applications are sold Separately
Steve,

These were what I was referring to when I mentioned those are the ES3000's! Now for the 9000's for the D2 that I'm interested in, do I just call DAP and place the order?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.