Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone. New member, first post. I searched and found several older threads here. I am evaluating the purchase of a 2007 LR3 HSE with 60,000 miles. I've worked through all the control systems and everything seems to be working well except the parking sensor throws an error when you put transmission in reverse (long sound with flashing indicator light at parking sensor manual switch on dash.)

This LR3 has an enormous winch, which I think was put on by the dealer. In any case, the two outboard front parking sensors are free and in the clear, but I can't see the center two front parking sensors... I'm guessing they are blocked with the winch/bumper directly on top of them.

Completely blocking two sensors like that would throw the fault code, right?

Anyone know how to tell the system to ignore just those two sensors to see if that makes a difference?

Thanks for your input! :)

· Registered
63 Posts
I seriously hope that somebody would not install the winch directly on top of the parking sensors. That would be a pretty bonehead move. Rather, they may have removed the sensors. If the sensors are present, but blocked by the winch, I don't think you should get an "error", rather it should just sound like one high pitched beep from the front speaker... like you are about to hit something with the front bumper. If the sensors have been removed, but not disabled in the Car Configuration File (CCF), then it might be throwing an error.

Either way, if you are buying the LR3 from the dealer, just have them disable the two inner sensors (or all 4 if you need to) as part of the purchase deal (they can edit the CCF to tell the car those sensors are not installed). Should only take them a few minutes to do. If you are purchasing from an individual, you would need to buy a tool (such as an IID tool) to do this yourself. Not cheap, but I consider such a tool as a "must have" for many reasons anyway.

· Registered
525 Posts
It seems odd, I don't have front sensors, but I would think the front sensors would only activate in forward, maybe there is an issue with a rear sensors?

Can anyone with sensors confirm either way.

I would think the dealer could make it right either way..

I think they sensors can be "aimed" but not if something is directly in front.

If it is a factory winch mount it might be worthwhile digging up the installation manual and going through it.

· Registered
63 Posts
No, both front and rear sensors activate when you are in drive and under 5mph'ish and they both activate when you are in reverse. Think about when you are backing out of a parking space and cut the wheel sharply. You don't want to hit one of the cars next to you with the front of your car... at least that's why I assume the front ones activate in reverse.

I don't believe you can "aim" the sensors in any way, but you adjust the distance at which they start sounding and the distance as which the tone becomes constant. One thing I forgot to ask... is the long sound coming from the front speaker/instrument panel or is it coming from the trunk? If from the front, it's the front sensors, if from the trunk, it's one of the rear sensors.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Codes indicate right rear outer and left rear out sensors

Hi, everyone. Thanks for your input. I took the vehicle to a friend's shop and we read the codes for the parking assist system. It had two: right rear outer and left rear outer.

Looking at the parking sensors on the bumper, they are clean and there is no obvious damage.

Should I clear these faults? Or does this indicate the two sensors need to be replaced?

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well said, tlt. We cleared the errors, the problem persists. We'll order two new sensors and go from there.

The front winch is totally blocking where the two front & center sensors would be-- the winch looks like it was put on at the dealership-- I can only imagine they would have deleted or programmed the front two sensors out of the system.

I'll report back after replacing the two rear sensors.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rear park sensors working normally, but what about the front?

Hi, I'm following up because I just got the two rear backup sensors replaced and for the first time the rear park assist is working as expected. The front sensors do not work at all. I've read the manual and it seems if you are in Drive and press the button on the dash, the front distance sensors should work up until a certain speed. I believe because of my winch installation, the front sensors were disabled.

Question: do you find the FRONT park sensors useful? I haven't used distance detecting front park sensors in many years.

Check out the photo below. I believe there should be four park sensors on the front bumper. The two center ones are blocked by the brush guard on my vehicle but the two sensors on the outer edge of the bumper seem to be unaffected. I have a tow hitch ball which extends out in front of the vehicle pretty far.

[/URL][/IMG]

I have a GAP IIDTool BT... I wonder if the car configuration file could be updated to enable just the two outer front park sensors.

Judging from your experience with the front park sensors, do you expect this would be helpful?

· Registered
63 Posts
Good to hear that you got the malfunctioning sensors replaced. To clarify your text from the user manual, you do not need to press the button on the dash for the front sensors to work. Rather, if you press the button, all sensors will stop working. The front sensors should work by default when in Drive and under 5 or 10mph... I forget which. I also think that my front sensors work while in Reverse, but I would need to double check.

I would imagine that your front sensors have simply been disabled in the CCF due to the winch/brush guard being installed. To try and answer your question though, I personally do not find the front sensors to be very useful. Well, they were useful for the first week or so, but after you learn the dimensions of your car, then I found them to just be rather annoying. That being said, I think the most useful of the front sensors would be the outer ones and I THINK you can enable only the outer ones with the IID tool. Give it a shot and see what happens.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you very much for the clarification about the front park sensors! I reached out to the GAP Diagnostic Tech Team and I was informed that the Tool is intended to provide access to what Land Rover implemented and that a more granular selection of sensors would require a PAM firmware modification which in itself is quite a challenge.

I don't miss the front parking assistance per se. What I thought would be helpful is when you are backing up and turning, the outside sensors might give a little advance warning before striking something with the front of the vehicle while you are paying greater attention to what is behind you, etc.

In my case it appears the rubber brush guard covers the bumper exactly where the interior sensors would be... don't know if it might be possible to mount the sensors on front of the brush guard. Any thoughts?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.