Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a media-low duty brush guard(i believe it's the manik one) for my disco I, i also have dual air-bags, when i go off-roading, if i hit a small tree or something w/ the brush guard(assuming it doesn't crumble on impact) will the air bags deploy?), if so, is there any way to disable the air bags temporarily(while off-roading)?. they are extreamly expensive to replace and install, so this would be a huge plus. Also, if there is, how do you do it(pictures would help) and is it safe to do repetatively. any input welcome/appreciated.

- AppStateDisco

· Registered
40 Posts
bull bar & air bags

I just put an ARB deluxe bar on my disco 1 with airbags. The attachment bars that run north to south have a section that is a concertina ,which in a smallish shunt should compress without setting of the airbags. In a large hit they compact fully and allow the force to transfer to the front of the car and thus the air bags deploy. I presume that would be the only section that may need replacing after a small shunt. Your set up may be the same. :drive:

· Registered
1,744 Posts
It's not a good idea to disable the airbags (it can be done easily), as they are there for you and your passengers protection. I accept that fitting new airbags is expensive, but how much is your life worth. What happens if you have a serious smash off-road and your airbags are disabled?

· Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i meant disabling them strictly for off-road use when speeds don't excede maybe 10 MPH and i'm not going to be doing rock-crawling or anything where i could flip down a mountain. Could you describe how to disable them, temporarily ofcourse, so i could enable after off-roading?

· Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
can you describe how to disable the air bags temporarily just while off-roading?

2,687 Posts
i wouldn't worry about it, i've never heard of a disco owner's airbags deploying while offroading.. just drive slow and avoid running head first into trees!

· Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well if thats the case then thanks for the info, i wasn't aware they deployed at such a high mph. i def. won't be going that fast on any trail any time soon(or ever?)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.