Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched before I posted and found nothing that matches. When I'm idling, the a/c does not blow cold. Unlike another post, my engine isn't overheating, so clearly the cooling fan is working (well, I shouldn't say "clearly" with too much certainty).

I assume the charge is just a smidge low. Do you concur, and if so, where the sam hill is the low side access? I found the high side near the firewall on the left (as you're facing the vehicle), but have no joy finding the low side.

thanks
DG

·
Registered
242 Posts
I would be looking at the cooling fans first.

I also do not recommend the AC charge kits. The AC system is something that should be worked on by someone that understands the system fully. AC charge level should not get low unless there is a leak, and the leak should be repaired. If the charge level gets low enough and air gets into the system, damage to the compressor can occur by using the recharge kits and getting the pressures high enough to allow the compressor to work.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just recently got a 2006 LR3 and the a/c gets cool but definitely not cold like it should be. AND it takes a while to get cool.
I also noticed that the passenger side is not as cool and has a musty smell to the air coming out.
Can the cooling issue be due to it needing to be drained and recharged? If so, what will this service usually cost?
And why is one side noticeably less cool?
Thanks!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I think I've learned that there is a an aux fan just for the compressor. Guess that's where I'll start.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, now that I've learned there's an aux fan just for the condenser, wanna tell me where they hid it? From what I can tell, both fans are on the same fuse, so I'm guessing the fan is either shot, or there's a short in the wiring.

·
disco biscuit
1,061 Posts
What vehicle is it. On almost all of em the aux cooling fan is right in front of the ac condenser. Should be between grille and radiator. My disco its on the passenger side.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cooling fan

It's an 08 LR2. In my owner's manual, it says the fans are fused on the same fuse, but the fuse box layout is different than in the manual. If you go by the legend on the lid, it looks like the f3,4, and 5 fuses have a cover over them. don't suppose it can be the fuse though- if it were, I'm guessing I'd be overheating.

thanks
DG

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
air cond doesn't when idling

Well, unless I'm blind, there is no aux fan. There is one fan only, behind the radiator.

thoughts?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the same issue. Fan for condenser is in compartment by wipers on passenger side. It's most likely the module on the radiator fan

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
aux fan continued

I don't see anything in that panel except the valve for adding refrigerant. This 08 LR2 has overheated once. I was in stop and go traffic, drove short distances, and made 3 or 4 stops within 30 minutes. After the last stop, the temp gauge lit up, but as soon as I had any groundspeed, it went out. I tried wiring from the battery to the radiator fan with no results. It strikes me though, that if the cooling fan is not working, this thing must have a huge radiator, a massive water pump, or both because except for the one time, it has always run right in the middle of the gauge.

If one does change the fan (I'll call it the Aux fan- referring to the one fan I see anywhere, that being in the radiator shroud), is it a huge PIA with the intake manifold right there?

DG

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine ended up being the fan. It took me 4 hours by myself to replace. Huge pain int the Arssss. I had to remove the intake manifold an still couldn't get the fan assembly out so I ended up removing the fan from the shroud and replacing just the fan and module. I hope you have small arms. Mine are all bruised. Now all is back to working as usual.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gee, sounds like fun! I had my local mechanic look at it to see how much of a job it would be. You've confrimed what he said. Something to look forward to, eh?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Like lilcc, I just replaced the fan because the shroud wouldn't come out.

However, mine went from the fan not running at all, to the fan never shutting off.

The control module and fan I replaced with were used, so I'm just hoping I got a bad control module. Getting another sent today to see if that corrects the issue.

There are 3 wires on the input side of the module. A very heavy Red, very heavy Black, and a very thin purplish wire. Anyone have anything on the wiring diagram for that? The Red has constant 12+ volts whether the key is on or off, the Black is a ground. The small wire however seems to have 0.01 volts on it when the fan should be off and 0.06 volts on it when the fan should be on. Is that how that circuit works? Or is there some other issue that is causing the Red to always have voltage on it?

Hopefully that makes sense.
Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got mine replaced today by a local shop with ASE certified foreign mechanics, but not an LR dealer (they're 100 miles away). I'd put power directly to the fan and nothing. They did the same thing with the same results, so the fan was toast. The 2.2 book hour job took 4. The book says to drop the a/c compressor, which I suppose is why others have had trouble replacing their own. My guys didn't drop the compressor, they vac-ed the a/c, dropped the lines, did the install, then put the lines back and recharged it. Runs like a charm now that the hot weather is over.

·
disco biscuit
1,061 Posts
Good deal. Change the cab filter...maybe wash the condenser. Don't ask me how on a lr2 or freelander, I don't really know on my own. Mainly cause mine still works. You should look at these problems besides all at once. Getting an email to respond to your threads becomes hard if I feel you wanna only do it when everything builds up at once then your freaking out. I suggest you give your land rover its required attention as needed instead of when it all blows up...other wise you end up with a whiney step child.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Disco, I don't generally let things build- it was my son's. He lived in Alaska and died in March. He didn't even know about the aux fan since their weather is a bit different. The intermittent window operation showed up in the winter, probably a harness reaction to cold weather. He wasn't going to check it out until it warmed up but didn't get the chance. So, it has some accumulated bugs that I'm working through

1 - 16 of 16 Posts