Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a couple days of sitting my 2005 LR3 suspension is bled all the way down. After starting it will rise up to normal height. If I haven’t driven it for awhile the front end and steering wheel will have a shimmy for a few minutes then will settle down. I’m wondering if these are connected issues or not, and if they are early indications of suspension failure. The truck has 177K miles on it. I replaced the front bushings several years ago and got a new compressor at 50k miles. There are no fault lights and it runs great overall.

thanks, Dan

·
very disco
1,182 Posts
Your suspension deflating overnight is a sign of failure, not an early indication. Not sure if what you’re mentioning is related, but when my suspension was leaking, it would take some time to air up.

it would get to “height” it seemed pretty quickly, but it wouldn’t be a proper ride for some time after it got to height. The ride quality would also degrade and I found myself lifting to off-road mode and back down to normal to keep things tight.

you should definitely repair the leak(s) in your suspension and then troubleshoot the shimmies

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How long were you able to drive it before you got it repaired? I think mine is acting like yours. It lifts right up, but depending on how long it sat it takes longer to be fully charged.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The EAS leaks are not that hard to diagnose. Unplug the battery, measure heights, let it sit overnight, measure again. Depending on where it dips, it could be one of the three valve blocks. Those are not too expensive to replace.

I wonder if your shimmy is due to flat spots that develop on your tires. Are we talking weeks w/o driving it or days?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks good advice. I thought the same thing about the tires. Sometimes I leave it for months but other times just a week or two. I will check on repairs to the air suspension and compare to swapping out with coil springs.

·
very disco
1,182 Posts
Swapping out coil springs is not the way to go. It may cost more than fixing the EAS and the truck will lose value.

now this is just my personal opinion, but unless you’re building a serious crawler and need 6” of lift and a guaranteed non-deflating suspension, the coil conversion is a cop out

·
Registered
213 Posts
I also don't think you can get 6" of lift from a coil conversion. My opinion is that the EAS is central to the LR3 and removing it is not advised. EAS leaks are just not that hard to fix. Going coils because of that would be like amputating a finger because of a paper cut. The EAS is better than coils in almost every conceivable way except simplicity.

·
very disco
1,182 Posts
I also don't think you can get 6" of lift from a coil conversion
no, not from any off-the-shelf conversion kit. I was exaggerating what would conceivably be necessary to warrant ripping out the EAS in favor of coils...

I think that if the OP could see the entire EAS system out of the car, this conversation wouldn’t even be happening. It’s a rather elegantly simple system, but being hidden underneath a formidably complex vehicle it’s easy to get lost. All of that being said, every component of the EAS is user replaceable without serious knowhow or equipment, the most difficult pieces being the bags themselves

1 - 9 of 9 Posts