Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remembered when a friend of mine got into a minor bump crash in a mini van and the airbag deployed. It was very minor crash and he could have driven home but it would not start because something about the air bag going off blew a chip or something that wouldnt let the vehical start.

Will the same thing happen if your in a disco?

What if your out in the boonies off roading and you hit something to hard will the airbags deploy and if they do will you be stuck out there till some one else comes and helps you?

Is there a way to shut them off or does the vehical now not to deploy if your in 4x4 mode?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
This is a novel question that you pose. What I do know is that you have to hit something with a reasonable force before your airbags are deployed. If this was the case, you will need to reset/press the inertia button, which would have shut off your fuel supply. The reason for the switch is so that in the event of a crash and engine fire, the fuel line is isolated. This is probably what happened to your friend, and his inability to start afterwards had nothing to do with a blown chip.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Disco said:
This is probably what happened to your friend, and his inability to start afterwards had nothing to do with a blown chip.
No actually, most americaan cars today link the SRS computer to the vehicle so that they will not start after an airbag deployment. It's more than just the inertia switch.

A few years ago, my son and I went to Florida and spent an entire day going from one salvage yard to the next. Sadisco is a chain of insurance yards throughout the south and the friend with us regularly buys, at sealed bid, rebuildables. Throughout the Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm area, we saw more than a dozen Discoverys that had been in crashes severe enough to be totaled by the insurance company. Of the bunch, we saw ONE, that's right, I said ONE, whose front airbags had deployed. Not one of these were light enough crashes where there may have been some question as to whether they shouldd or shouldn't have gone off.
Another Land Rover feature we paid attention to was tne number of engine fires. That's how I originally got my NAS 110, but once I got into the rebuilding process, I spoke with many people and learned that these are not only common, but frequent. One guy told me he had seen, in the flesh, 11 burned 110s, I have since seen several more.
A friend called me yesterday to tell me he was speaking to an acquaintance in IL, who was sitting in his '97 D90SW last week when it suddenly starting billowing smoke and flames beneath the bonnet. It was put out quick enough not to have gotten through the bulkhead, but most deffinately totalled.
Almost all the engine fires I have seen are related to oil cooler line failures (dry rot) spraying hot oil onto the exhaust manifold. Most have been southern cars, but everyone should check the condition of their lines, especially where they pass so close to the front of the rightside exhaust manifold. How would you like that to happen while you're offroading, where underbonnet heat is high, and generally not going fast enough to circulate the air out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.