Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings! I have a '95 Disco, and I want to mount some high-intensity driving lights on the bumper (until I have the money for a new bumper/brushguard :p ), but I don't want to drill into an airbag sensor. So, could anyone enlighten me as to the location of the airbag sensors?

On a related note, is there a way to disable the passenger-side airbag without having the dealer install a cutoff switch? I'm installing some radio equipment, and the passenger airbag is in the way of the communications rack I'm building.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
You will need to go to the dealer and have them disable the SRS with a test book. If I remember right this will also knock out the drivers side though which is not good.
Don't try and do something your self, you'll find it to be a hugh mistake.
Mike J.

·
Registered
19 Posts
On a 95 if you look under the bonnet on the top of the chassis you will see a yellow box (one on each side) just behind the rad these are the sensors, if the vehicle is later and there is no sensors it is built in to the ECU.

On a related note, is there a way to disable the passenger-side airbag without having the dealer install a cut-off switch? I'm installing some radio equipment, and the passenger airbag is in the way of the communications rack I'm building.

I have had this question many times Land Rover would not let us (the main dealer I worked for) change the system in any way for legal reasons!!!

If you want to remove the airbag at any time disconnect the battery and wait five minutes then you can disconnect the air bag.
Do not switch the ignition on without having the airbag connected, as this will put a fault in the ECU only a dealer can clear or a garage with an equivalent machine

·
Registered
229 Posts
yeh as he said look for the yellow boxes...also you can trace them down by the yellow wire loom the wires are wrapped in... :wave:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MG-FRANCE said:
I have had this question many times Land Rover would not let us (the main dealer I worked for) change the system in any way for legal reasons!!!

If you want to remove the airbag at any time disconnect the battery and wait five minutes then you can disconnect the air bag.
Do not switch the ignition on without having the airbag connected, as this will put a fault in the ECU only a dealer can clear or a garage with an equivalent machine
So, you're saying the airbag can't be permanently removed?

What about a dealer-installed cutoff switch for the passenger side airbag? If I remember right, dealers are legally required to perform this for customers who ask for it due to safety concerns with child seats and such. I know very little else about this, unfortunately, except that I'd prefer not to go that route, I don't want anyone other than me installing switches and stuff in there. Since the nearest dealership is almost three hours away, and they're only open when I'm at work (and my boss is a prick who won't let me take time off), I'd prefer not to go down there unless I know for certain what to ask for and such :p

Anyway, thanks for the help on the sensor locations! :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
In UK I worked for main dealer no dealer-installed cut off switch exists, in US may be different.
We were not allowed to disable tamper or modify air bag system at all not even repair a damaged wire, Loom had to be replaced, and any replacement air bags etc Land Rover had to be informed of serial numbers.
Hope this helps

1 - 6 of 6 Posts