Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Proud to be an Infidel
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my Hella FF1000 today from "Tide Water"...Pretty nice Chap I spoke with......Lights are quite nice to look at....Looks functional too.....

HOWEVER....I seems to be possessed by a certain amount of RR (Road Rage)recently...and I am liking the idea of hooking some of the AIRCRAFT LANDING LIGHTS (Yah..you heard me!), I have buried in my garage. On the last full moon it seems like an inordinate amount of idiots have surfaced on the roads during my hours of travel. I have been trying to contain myself without success...so I am giving in to this impulse. I will post pictures of this this thing when I have found them. I dont even know if this is workable...but if there is a will......

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
My buddy in Alaska has often joked around with that idea....... He will figure it out soon I am sure...

·
Registered
707 Posts
if they are 24 v yolt you could run them with 2 batteries in series. I'm working on such a dual battery system in the disco now for the readywelder. I'm using alot of Marine electronics stuff. I've also toyed with aircraft landing lights but I haven't had the time to dive deep into them to find out what is the brightest.

We have any pilots here that could make a reccomendation?

·
Proud to be an Infidel
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Found 'em!!!

drg said:
I would expect that they are 24/28 volt. But that may not be a bad thing... and they'll still run at 12 volt, and last a lot longer.
DRG and DISCOPILOT......UMM YAH... DAMMIT!!!!!:mad:

600 WATTS = NO PRAWBLEM MON......:buttrock:
28V = PRAWBLEM MON!:shifty:

They are also seal beams and has no "housing".

I still want to do this. It will take some fabrication...I just have to apply myself and the time. Electronics are not my forte but I am willing to see if I can hack my way through it.
These beams are obviously not finely aimed..they just put a LOT of light on the subject ...pure and simple. The local Gendarme have take issue with this little oversight. I am sure they could be used as "spotlights" when not using them to burn idiots retinas:D

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Holly jesus 600 watts!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: What is that, like 6,000,000 candle power give or take?!

If you can get it so it works with 12 volts through something then it would be insane! I wonder how long it would take to drain your battery?

·
Workin' and Wheelin'...
2,942 Posts
keptin said:
Holly jesus 600 watts!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: What is that, like 6,000,000 candle power give or take?!
That's what I say! Hot Damn that's a lot of power!:buttrock: Will very well draw a lot of amps, but it'll light up the sky like search lights! Awesome stuff!:cool:

Also another thing, it says on the box 600W/28V...That's like double the alternator output capacity on our Rovers. Not only amps gonna be an issue but an inverter needs to be standard on this setup. But still cool!

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
good point...it might be TOO MUCH light....suck down your batt super fast. Hehe...what would be funny is if you put one of those engine powerered generators in the rover just to handle the lights.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I had a set of 300 watters on a CRX that I had. I had to fab custom heatsink mounts. The first time around melted part of my bumper. The would light up 3/4 of a mile of white light. They were cornea killers. On the back roads of Nor Cal they helped very nicely. I ended up mounting them on bus bars with 8 gauge to each light.

I cannot imagine what 600 watts would be like.

·
Mod. --- I'm watching you
324 Posts
I find this very interesting. I use my rear facing lights to remove tailgaters all the time. Works very well... and I'm only using 2 55w Hella Micro FF's ;)

How much do those cost?

·
Proud to be an Infidel
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
darkknight1999 said:
I find this very interesting. I use my rear facing lights to remove tailgaters all the time. Works very well... and I'm only using 2 55w Hella Micro FF's ;)

How much do those cost?
I like the inverter idea...but it may be susceptible to excessive heat in the engine bay. I may put the ff1000 aft to fend off tailgaters and use the Retina Fryers at fo'c'sle for the rougher stuff.:buttrock:

These were overstocked items courtesy of my local FBO.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Then again, if you run them as 12v, wouldn't they be 300w instead of 600?

·
Registered
76 Posts
DiscoTex said:
Then again, if you run them as 12v, wouldn't they be 300w instead of 600?
I would think it would be something above 300w (incandescent lamps have variable resistance, the hotter they get the more resistance... 13.8v won't heat them up as much as 28v will, so it ought to draw something more than half of what it draws at 28v, though the difference might be minor).

But again, as I was suggesting before, Fly, you may WANT to run them derated to 12v if it works. Landing lights are designed to have lots of cool air flowing over them to keep them cool...

Honestly, I'd suggest test-rigging them to 12v before worrying too much about getting all 28v to them. Plus, use a good ammeter and see how much they draw at 12v. And if you melt everything within 1 foot, it might be a hint... to make a bracket that holds them away from your paint anyway.

Keep posting pics! :drink1: :beer:

·
Registered
76 Posts
By the way, that's 600W per lamp... if you mount both, it's 1.2kW.

Assuming they pull 300W at 12V each, that's still 600W total, which is 50 amps. Your D2 probably has a 140A alternator? But that's the rating when cold. When it gets hot like when moving slowly on the trail and especially if it has to product current for those lights, it is likely to only put out around 50A. And don't forget your headlights and other electricity consumers.

That's why I suggest running an ammeter and figuring out how much one lamp really draws. You might find that they draw 30 amps each. Are you ready for that Ready Welder upgrade?

Incidentally, you're going to need some serious cable to provide the juice to those things.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Flywheel how much are those lights?
I can work on a housing for them but i'd need one to test and work with.

I am a firm believer in where there is a will there is a way!!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.