Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
very disco
2,968 Posts
I’m not sure of an off-road scenario in which airing up is good.

you haven’t got a lot of room to air down, but if you’ll be rock crawling or seeing sand, a little deflation could be useful

·
Registered
1 Posts
My LR3 has 19” wheels with 255/55R19 All Terrains, should I air down or up for off-roading? Sand? Rocks? Never done off-roading before View attachment 92597
I have done a lot of offroading in my LR4 with 19 inch Rims. What I have found is the following:

• Rocks - Leave your tire pressure as it is for road travel. The gains you make by deflating slightly are far overweighed by the sidewall puncture issues. The traction control in the LR3/4 is amazing and does the job. You get all the traction you need with fewer punctures. In wet slippery conditions, I do go down slightly and then tread very carefully.
  • Sand - Thick loose sand in hot conditions, Select "Sand" on your terrain response, lower tire pressure to around 1 BAR, and disable the DSC (Very Important), look out for roots and tocks under the sand we dont have much sidewall to play with :).
  • Use the options available on the terrain response, they do make a difference.
  • Use the Hill descent, especially on the steep uphills ... if for some reason you stall going up, you need it more than stalling going down. You can alter descent speed using the Auto cruise speed up and down controls. Play a bit with it at default and get the feel for it going down a few steep hills, even on tar before you venture out.
Most importantly - Trust the Vehicle, they are simply amazing offroaders, better than anything else that I have driven with the exception of customized kitted-out offroaders. But you get there in style, and you go past everything else out there in air-conditioned comfort. Enjoy the car in its element. Last bit of advice - Before you go out on a long offroad trip, take your Landrover to a place where you can play and get comfortable in the car, push it beyond what you think is comfortable. In a LR its the driver's confidence in his car that makes the difference. Believe me, the car can do the most amazing things. Enjoy it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.