Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have alarm woes. Last Thursday, locked driver door and alarm set. Inadvertently opened the passenger door and the alarm went off. Put the key in the ignition and it shut down. Since then, the doors don't lock when I lock the driver door. Yesterday when I tried to start the D1, the alarm went off and will not engage the starter. Unhooked the positive cable most of the day yesterday and didn't clear the codes or problem As a note, there was a click (pass side kick panel) and slight delay for the key to engage the starter the week between events. How do I reset the alarm and door lock system? The keyless remote doesn't work and I still have to get the vehicle to the dealership in downtown Germany to get it programmed. I checked the operators manual and it doesn't have anything regarding this issue. Has this happened to anyone before?

Joe
96 D1
Stuttgart, Germany

· LRO Founder
1,888 Posts
Here's the instructions to reprogram the remote on a 1994 and 1995, not sure it it will work on a 1996. If you have a 2 button remote, this will NOT work:

Remote Programming - Single Button
Vehicle - 1994 and 1995 Range Rover Classic, 1994 and 1995 Discovery I
Note: Must be carried out in 8 seconds to access learn mode. Best done with two people. You should have both remotes available or second one will not work.
  • Open hood and have assistant hold hood alarm switch down.
  • From inside car with all doors closed, ignition off and all lock buttons up
  • Turn ignition on then off
  • Cycle drivers door button down then up
  • Assistant now releases hood switch
  • Turn ignition on then off
  • If done correctly, horn will beep once and dash LED will light up. This indicates the learn mode has been accessed. If this doesn’t happen repeat 1 thru 6.
  • From inside car push and hold first remote. The dash LED should flash 8 cycles a second for one second indicating that the code was received. If this does not happen repeat steps 1 thru 6 again.
Push and hold the second remote if the code is received the dash LED will flash 8 cycles indicating that the code was received. If this does not happen repeat 1 thru 8 again. Note: Turn the ignition on at any time will cancel the learning process. The system can only store two remote codes and must be done at the same time. If you only have one remote program it twice.

· Registered
1,506 Posts
Holy crap, I had the same problem last night - deja vu...

I took the Disco to the car wash cause I didn't have time to wash it myself and drove to Lowe's. I noticed the security LED was blinking while the engine was running and thought "hmm, that's weird"..

anyway, I don't use the remote 'cause the freaking the plastic broke (thanks Serg for the tip on RemoteKey) so I had to call my wife to bring it over to me. I pressed the button and all the doors locked. The I used the key to unlock it and voila, I was able to start her up.

Something must've gotten wet when I went thru the car wash....

· Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an appt at the dealership on Wednesday to have the remote programmed (it's a two button) and check to see if there's an alarm code. Just found out it cost $3600USD to ship the D1 to Hawaii...

Joe
96 D1 SE7
94 Volvo 850

· Registered
1,506 Posts
Damn, just put some pantoons on the side and paddle over to NY then drive to Cali and then paddle to Hawa - eeeee.. :lol:

· Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
John,

That's a thought. I'd just have to have my paddles sent over, get the pontoons and we're set. I'll keep you posted on how the alarm turns out. I might just tell the service manager to program the remote first to see if that clears the fault. He told me on the phone today to keep cycling the lock on the driver door to unlock - lock to until the fault clears. I'll do that in the morning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.