Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Old Guy
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow member of another Forum, shared his mod for gas charged hood prop modification.
1-16" 60# Nitro-Prop Gas Strut Shock Spring Lift Support Cylinder Tube Rod
2-Marine Stainless Steel Gas Strut OUTSIDE Angle Bracket Spring Deck Plate Mount
4 self tapping sheet metal screws, no longer than 3/4"
Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Vehicle door Windshield

Vehicle door Automotive exterior Vehicle Car Windshield

The member chose to mount on the passenger side, because of the abs module, but I chose to mount on the drivers side, and it cleared the ABS and brake lines.
I have ordered another set, because I want one on both sides.
1 60lb would be fine, or if you are going to install on each side 40b will do.

·
certified idiot
694 Posts
something I have been wanting to do for some time. Do you have the distances for mounting?
Otherwise could you pm me a link to the other forum?

thanks for letting us know - excellent mod
cheers
Barri

·
Registered
454 Posts
Sticky worthy to the Modification thread?

·
certified idiot
694 Posts
just wanted to say thanks again for posting. Did the mod today using 2 45lb gas struts and I'm very happy with it. Looks a bit skew in the picture but in real life it sits perfectly square and in an emergency I can still use the hood prop.

I bought a kit from amazon and the struts were 17" not 16 so I had to move the mounting points a little and I used flat plates on the fender walls as I didnt want to mess with the bolts holding the wings on - but it works just great.
cheers
Barri

Attachments

·
Registered
454 Posts
What a useless ridiculous modification! I never have to open the hood on our Rover!

:wink

I need to get one...

·
certified idiot
694 Posts
What a useless ridiculous modification! I never have to open the hood on our Rover!

:wink

I need to get one...
Damn - now I feel embarassed :eek:
I didnt think that I too have never had to open the hood on my rover until I did this modification :grin
Now I keep going out and popping the hood open - trying to get my moneys worth out of the struts!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.