Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You and I see them everywhere we look... Super Charge you Rover for 19.99. Increase your HP by 25 points for 29.99. The list goes on and on. I have even seen magnets you can put on your fuel line to ionize the particals for increase mileage.

Has anyone purchased anything such as these? If so, what do you think.

This stuff is driving me nutz. If many of the things I see do "half" of what they say, it would be worth the price... maybe.

·
Registered
291 Posts
heres a few i know... and how they do as tested by my shop, though different cars can mean different results...

Turbonator - no difference felt but a mpg added for my rangie, and almost 2 for an audi A4

Electric supercharger - actually worked, felt a difference in acceleration for mine and the A4, a yukon xl didn't feel it

Billet fuel ionizer - don't waste your money

K&N air filter - worth the money, added response, not sure about mpg, but sounded nice on a yukon xl

Turbonator knock off - same as turbonator but felt a lot cheaper and was afraid it was gonna break for all 3

Voltage stabilizer - i personally have one of these, if you run a lot of electronics and notice your lights starting to dim, etc. this will hold a charge inside its cell, and keep things bright. it works for $40

if you want to know about something specific let me know, they run tests on random things and i tell them and let you know the results :)

·
Registered
302 Posts
98RRover said:
Voltage stabilizer - i personally have one of these, if you run a lot of electronics and notice your lights starting to dim, etc. this will hold a charge inside its cell, and keep things bright. it works for $40
Any more info on this one? (name of product, ect?)

·
Registered
291 Posts
honestly, i just picked it up on ebay for $25 + 15 shipping and handling. No Idea who makes it, their will be like 600 that look all the same, they are all the same, just with different stickers on them, but i can't complain, it actually works. Just type in voltage stabilizer.

also i forgot about those things you see on ebay.. i.e. superchip, juice, roverpower, speed chip, etc. all of these are resistors. thats it. they might come in a fancy box with 2 wires, but they are all resistors that trick your truck into revving higher at idle. They kill your gas mileage despite what they say and are worth about .08 C at an electronics store.

·
Registered
367 Posts
A voltage stabilizer is commonly called a capacitor, you can get them at pretty much any stereo shop. And they do work pretty well, but usually only worth it if you have something drawing a LOT of power, like a huge inverter or an amp.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
Gadgets I have:
1. Sirius Sat. Radio- worth it
2. Yakima roof rack system - worth it
3. K&N filter - worth it
4.Custom cup holder - Worth it
5.Recovery points- Really Really Worth it.

I am sure there is more but that will get a start for me

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
they might come in a fancy box with 2 wires, but they are all resistors that trick your truck into revving higher at idle. They kill your gas mileage despite what they say and are worth about .08 C at an electronics store.
Dude, you have no idea what you are talking about. Rev higher at idle? What does that mean- 'rev at idle' is contradictory. I'd hate to see how your 'shop' tests other stuff too.

Commonly, the resistors sold as "performance enhancing" are used to alter the signal to the ECU from one of several sensors, most common being the intake air temp sensor. It causes the vehicle to run richer- which can sometimes produce more power. It's a bad idea for many reasons, one being that forcing an engine to run less efficiently can ruin the catalytic converters and O2 sensors.

·
Registered
367 Posts
keptin said:
I dont think superchips are just transistors....dont they reprogram your stock chip for more preformance with premium octane fuel?? Most of the stuff they seem to sell nowadays are computer tuners.

http://www.superchips.com/home.phtml
98RRover is lumping two different things into one idea. What he's thinking of are resistors that Muddy Oval explains quite well above. What you're talking about is reprogramming of the ECU to increase performance, which is usually fairly effective, though I've never had it done on any of my vehicles.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rev at Idle... seems pretty clear if you are not reading too much into it. If you alter the temp sensor it may make the RPMs (rev) at idle higher such as it does during warm up. I think that is what he is saying.

·
Registered
291 Posts
not the brand superchips...the superchips on ebay which are resistors, that was my bad, but believe me i do know what i am talking about. and the revving at idle i might have worded incorrectly, but when you are at idling your engine is still running (mine at 900RPM for example) when you add the chip, it will run at 1200, etc... don't dwell on every single word... :rolleyes:

Here is the junk im talking about http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/n-Ch...33597QQitemZ7988657050QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V
superchip is registered which i didn't realize, that is a reprogrammer.

·
Registered
291 Posts
FelixLockhart said:
A voltage stabilizer is commonly called a capacitor, you can get them at pretty much any stereo shop. And they do work pretty well, but usually only worth it if you have something drawing a LOT of power, like a huge inverter or an amp.

A capacitor and voltage stabilizer are 2 different things. A voltage stabilizer connects directly to the positive and negative off a battery. With a capacitor you run a wire from battery positive to the cap and than to chassis ground. I have both a voltage stabilizer and a capacitor, they are the same in principle, but are not exactly the same.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I dwell on every word because your explanation was incomplete and not clear and if the words aren't right, the information isn't usable... Not raggin on you, just trying to help get the question answered. Higher RPM at idle is not HOW they work, it's a possible side effect. The computer takes air density into account when it determines the proper air/fuel ratio, so by altering the perceived temp you can 'trick' it into going richer. Doesn't always mean more horsepower though, but WILL cause damage long term. To be legal on a car in the U.S. requires that it only alter the ratios and emissions under wide open throttle, which that doesn't do. So not only do they not usually work well (if at all), they are illegal and can damage the vehicle.

Isn't a voltage 'stabilizer' really just a shottky diode? And really kinda useless on a vehicle? There's a voltage regulator that maintains the charging and operating voltage already- there's nothing really inherently unstable about it other than at less than cruising RPM, the system voltage drops to battery level from 13.8-14.4 which is typical at cruising RPM.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I dunno, but when i put my voltage stabilizer in it made my lights brighter and my engine quieter, not sure how, not sure why, but it did. We will have to argue about this next saturday when we are on the trails at 'creek :wave: btw, my dad just gave me a CB radio, do you think its a good idea to hook it up before we go to raush? I'll talk to you later
-Andrew

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
engine quieter? HOW? The way to make lights brighter is to supply more voltage. I dunno, dude.

As for the CB, it will come in immensely useful- if nothing more than to give each other verbal abuse on the trail. If you don't want to install one permanently, just stick a cig plug on it and get a magnetic antenna- that's what I run because I'm too lazy to install the thing.

·
Registered
302 Posts
98RRover said:
I dunno, but when i put my voltage stabilizer in it made my lights brighter and my engine quieter
You mean like not getting the annoying sound of the alternator through your speakers?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.