Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day, I found myself in some soft dirt in a lake bed and decided to reverse and get to higher ground. My tires were sunk in 2 to 3 inches, nothing serious. But I couldn't get the rover moving.

With the cdl engaged, in 4hi, the rover didn't have any tires spinning or anything. Just engine revving and not going anywhere. My buddies had to give me a push and once I started rolling I kept going on my own power.

I tried the torque converter test of standing on the brake and revving the engine. It was sputtering at 2,000 RPMs, which I think is where it's suppose to sputter.

At a loss here, just wondering if anyone else had ever had this happen to them.

·
DiscoVT
57 Posts
you may be looking at a blown CV joint or half shaft. will it drive down the road normally without the CDL engaged?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I drove home without the cdl engaged, so I don't think it's the driveline. The only thing I can think of is the transmission. I'm due for changing out the transmission fluid, so maybe that will help. Guess I'll test it by trying to get stuck.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Use 4 Low next time.

Not being funny, just think you selected the wrong gear ratio. Soft/Wet ground saps power badly and with the CDL engaged the DI's merge power is split between the two axles and may not have been adequate to break the vehicle free of suction sometimes experienced in wet ground. The torque multiplication of low ratio gears would have helped get the wheels moving.

If no mechanical issues can be found then that's the most likely cause.

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
Use 4 Low next time.

Not being funny, just think you selected the wrong gear ratio. Soft/Wet ground saps power badly and with the CDL engaged the DI's merge power is split between the two axles and may not have been adequate to break the vehicle free of suction sometimes experienced in wet ground. The torque multiplication of low ratio gears would have helped get the wheels moving.

I think it is one of those things that you had to be there to see what was actually happening. The situation as described does not appear feasible and therefore it is most likely that something has been missed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what has me confused. The ground wasn't wet, and my transfer case usually needs some negotiating to get it engaged so I think I would have noticed it being in neutral. But if no one else has had this happen before, it's gotta be something that I missed.

Thanks for chiming in on this, it's good to know it's not the sign of a failing transmission/fragged diff/fading flux capacitor....

·
Registered
268 Posts
Any possibility the transfer case accidentally shifted into neutral?
Use 4 Low next time.

One of these two is my guess.
BTW, driving with the CDL locked on dry pavement WILL lead to much bigger problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.