Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, well, not that noobish actually. I sold my Bronco a while ago, and my 1994 Disco moved up to DD/Weekend warrior. Now, I don't have the money (well, Disco money anyway) to spend to replace the rotoflex with the u-joint and driveshaft, so I don't plan on getting a big lift either, but my springs "look" like their sagging, so how can you really tell if it's the springs or if it's just the shocks that need to be replaced?

And I'm looking for maybe an 1" at the most over stock, so if it's just the shocks, what's the easiest way to get that extra inch? The rubber LR spring spacers? Or some other kind of spacers?

I've never bought anything for this truck other than the normal maintenance items (it wasn't mine until 2 months ago. It got passed on to me after I sold the Bronco), so I'm wondering, when it comes to shocks other than the OME's and Bilsteins, do you just ask at the part's counter at AZ, PepBoys, etc. for X shocks for a Disovery? or are there specific part numbers that just happen to work with these trucks?

Anyway, TIA. :drink1:

· Registered
5,468 Posts
Tex, sounds like you want to keep it really simple. IMHO, the best way to go for you would go OME springs & shocks all around. Being a 94 and probably having the original gear on it, it's time to replace both. Go to www.expeditionexchange.com and check out their write-ups on OME and which ones would best fit your needs. They have the best explanations I have seen thus far. Your rotoflex should be just fine with a minimal lift. I have a 2" OME lift and have put on about 20,000 miles since, still using a rotoflex - although I have a spare one in case. I plan on changing it out but have a few other bills to pay first.

The only thing I ask is this, after choosing which OME springs and shocks you want (if that is what you decide), please give one of our sponsors first shot at giving you a competitive price. Hope this helps, any more questions, just ask.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. :wave:

· Registered
1,506 Posts
DiscoTex said:
Ok, well, not that noobish actually. I sold my Bronco a while ago, and my 1994 Disco moved up to DD/Weekend warrior. Now, I don't have the money (well, Disco money anyway) to spend to replace the rotoflex with the u-joint and driveshaft, so I don't plan on getting a big lift either, but my springs "look" like their sagging, so how can you really tell if it's the springs or if it's just the shocks that need to be replaced?

And I'm looking for maybe an 1" at the most over stock, so if it's just the shocks, what's the easiest way to get that extra inch? The rubber LR spring spacers? Or some other kind of spacers?

I've never bought anything for this truck other than the normal maintenance items (it wasn't mine until 2 months ago. It got passed on to me after I sold the Bronco), so I'm wondering, when it comes to shocks other than the OME's and Bilsteins, do you just ask at the part's counter at AZ, PepBoys, etc. for X shocks for a Disovery? or are there specific part numbers that just happen to work with these trucks?

Anyway, TIA. :drink1:
Replacing the rotoflex should be a priority if you plan on taking the Disco off-road. You don't have to spend $399 for the conversion, just get a rear driveshaft from an older RR (like a 90-01) along with the flange and spacer.

Shocks won't lift the vehicle, if your springs are sagging then you need new springs. You could get a used set of OME, Big Blue, Rovertym, etc.... OMEs will give you the least flex...

As far as getting parts at AZ or Pepboys (like springs)... you won't find any.

On the East coast you can purchase from Atlantic British, Dap (Big Blues), Rovers North, Rovertym, XKS, Northeast British Parts, etc..

On the West coast you have British Pacific, Safari Gard, and a few other vendors.

Rubber spacers from OME come in 20mm.

Good luck.

· Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
roverX said:
Tex, sounds like you want to keep it really simple. IMHO, the best way to go for you would go OME springs & shocks all around. Being a 94 and probably having the original gear on it, it's time to replace both. Go to www.expeditionexchange.com and check out their write-ups on OME and which ones would best fit your needs. They have the best explanations I have seen thus far. Your rotoflex should be just fine with a minimal lift. I have a 2" OME lift and have put on about 20,000 miles since, still using a rotoflex - although I have a spare one in case. I plan on changing it out but have a few other bills to pay first.
Yup, simple as possible. I've been reading and reading and reading both on here, Discoweb, and EE, and I was thinking about the 761/764's, or 761's all around. I've talked to a member from FSB (fullsizebronco) that also has a Disco and a Bronco, and he went with driver side medium duty OME's (I'm guessing 761's) all around and the ruber LR spacers for 2-2.5" of lift. Like I said, I'm not looking for that much over stock. The Disco is going to see 98% pavement (DD) and the little off road that it will see is the beach and trails.

The only thing I ask is this, after choosing which OME springs and shocks you want (if that is what you decide), please give one of our sponsors first shot at giving you a competitive price. Hope this helps, any more questions, just ask.
I'm guessing Red Rhino Products and 4x4 Adventure Gear?

Oh, and welcome to the forum. :wave:
Thanks! :D

John C said:
As far as getting parts at AZ or Pepboys (like springs)... you won't find any.
Yup, that's why I asked about shocks, not springs. I know that springs, or anything else, are not going to be at the parts counter, which is why I've been ordering all of the regular maintenance stuff from Atlantic British and Rovers North for a while. However, I always see people talking about Rancho, Monroe, and Procomp shocks on these trucks, and those I do know that you can get pretty much everywhere, that's why I was asking if you just asked at the parts counter, or if it just so happens that the shocks for another vehicle happen to fit the Disco (like volvo and ford alternators, MSD coils, etc.).

The only question about springs that I really had is how do you find out if they're shot? Ah well, after a decade of service, it's probably time anyway. I think I'll just either order a rotoflex when the time comes, but hopefully I'll have the u-jointed driveshaft and all of the other parts by then.

Thanks y'all.

· Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.