Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the Bosch AL0807N alternator will fit the 2003 4.6L D2?

My alternator is on it's way out and I like the idea of replacing it with a 100% new (not reman) part. Amazon has these alternators selling for $195 with free shipping, so I'd very much like to get a hold of one.

Most listings have this alternator spec'd for 1999-2002 model year Discos, but I'm having a hard time believing that these model years use different alternators than the '03-'04 models.

Can someone shed some light on this? I'd like to get the part ordered and installed by next week. Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes it will work. I replaced my old Valeo with the Bosch AL0807N back in February.

I did have to notch the plastic on the back of the new one to get the cable bolted in. There isn't much slack in that cable, once you pull your old one and compare the two and you'll see what I mean. Also, be very careful with the smaller wire, it is very brittle.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Well, not to ruin your Friday, but the 03 does take a different alternator then the earlier D2's.
You want to save some money while getting the correct one, consider buying a guaranteed used one from Paul Grant , number below, for a lot less.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You sir, are a king. Thanks for the help!
Thanks, it's about time I can pass some knowledge along.

If I recall, I was questioning why would the less expensive 130 amp Bosch only be spec up to 02, but not for 03 and 04 and only the 120 amp Valeo, (and aftermarket ones) be spec for 03-04. I think after doing enough research, I came to the conclusion that since everything else, belts, pulleys and most importantly the mounting bracket was same and compatible with the previous years, it would work on the later years as well.

Mine has been working fine since I've installed it.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Rover shows 2 different alternators, if you want to know why ask them, all I am passing on is there is a difference.

·
Computer Nerd
802 Posts
Rover shows 2 different alternators, if you want to know why ask them, all I am passing on is there is a difference.
They just changed suppliers for 2003. Both brands/part numbers bolt on just fine. Same plugs and mounting points.

There are lots of things where they show different part numbers for 1999-2002 and 2003-2004, but either will work for many of them. Expansion tanks are a good example. They used to show two numbers. I guess they finally ran out of one style and now the old numbers supersede to the new numbers.

Another possibility is if they wanted to collect cores on the old parts they probably wouldn't want people buying Bosch alternators when they had a Valero core.

Either way, the NEW Bosch part is the way to go, because no core, and well, it's all new.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts