Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My very first post!.

I need a piece of advise. I own a 2007 LR3 that apparently is in need of a new right front wheel bearing. I have been quoted a total (Incl 1.5 hours of Labour) $869 Canadian dollars !!!. I asked how much the part was and got $534 !. is that norm or robbery?.....just trying to get a feel.

Thanks !

·
1,854 Posts
Any good shop should be able to repair that for less. Buy the part needed and take it to a good LR indi mechanic.
Dave

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Sounds like dealer pricing on the part and on the labour dam near $150 / hour?
Yes sounds high.
Shop around, find an independent shop that knows land rovers

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
And yes you are being "hosed"

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank You guys.

I just picked up my LR from the mechanic. I have had this mechanic for about 9 years and have always trusted him in his work (which is top notch) and rates in the past having had any done to my Nissan Xterra (which I traded for the LR). I brought my laptop down and showed him 3 different prices on the wheel hub assembly from Partsgeek.com. Before I pulled out my info I made it clear that I under no circumstances was questioning his honesty or integrity but was merely trying to get an understanding WHY a part that be ordered and imported, including shipping, duties and Canuck taxes is up to 1/4th of what I was facing on the invoice.......
Now, most Mechanics or shop owners would either be offended and defensive but I was confident with my guy I would at least get an understanding. He showed me the price he paid from his supplier and disclosed that his shop marks the part up 10% which was evident on the paperwork. I realize everyone needs to make a buck and running a business comes with overhead etc. But this ordeal proves that someone (Local parts supplier) is banking on anyone driving a Land Rover must either be loaded or oblivious. What really made my day was this offer from my mechanic : " Next time you need work done and have a feel for what you need, order it online in the US. Have it shipped to our P.O Box in Blaine WA ( we are 20 mins from the border) and I will pick it up and only charge you for our time working on your car !!!....despite the fact I paid $830.44 Cad total to replace the front right Hub assembly I drove away smiling.....

·
Registered
217 Posts
Only way to get the job done cheaper is to learn to do it yourself. Our dealer is at $160 and hr. Our MINI dealer is at $126 an hr. Been working on my own for 50 yrs., will only work for $90 and hr. as I am retired. Only thing on doing it yourself is cost of tools, time and manuals. Actually cheaper at dealer at times. 2 hrs. at the dealer for an electrical glitch in tank emissions pump and key reset $852.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Only way to get the job done cheaper is to learn to do it yourself. Our dealer is at $160 and hr. Our MINI dealer is at $126 an hr. Been working on my own for 50 yrs., will only work for $90 and hr. as I am retired. Only thing on doing it yourself is cost of tools, time and manuals. Actually cheaper at dealer at times. 2 hrs. at the dealer for an electrical glitch in tank emissions pump and key reset $852.
I wish I had the time or skills.....I can land a 767-400 but I can't wrench sad eh?:grin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.