Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
MISSING SOUTH LONDON.
3,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all- I have been tinkering with the idea of opening a Land Rover export buisness here in the U.K for a while now. I have been wanting to get away from my London job and get a real one. I know and love Landy's and know there is a market for older 90's and 110's as well series vehicles in the U.S. I can get plenty of great older series 1 disco's as well. Just wondering what the demand would be? ANY feedback would be nice. I trust you guy's. :wave: :drink1:

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
I am all ears... I would love to import some into the US, however the trick is finding someone where you are who won't send over crap or rip me off..

In my opinion Disco's would be a waste of time and D90's and D110's might be a hurdle.. it would have to be the exact same ones they sold here, and you're not gonna find many genuine NAS Defenders in England. Having said that you can score some great deals on Series Trucks and importing those would be a great biz. Especially 109's.

Serg

·
MISSING SOUTH LONDON.
3,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Series

Serg said:
I am all ears... I would love to import some into the US, however the trick is finding someone where you are who won't send over crap or rip me off..

In my opinion Disco's would be a waste of time and D90's and D110's might be a hurdle.. it would have to be the exact same ones they sold here, and you're not gonna find many genuine NAS Defenders in England. Having said that you can score some great deals on Series Trucks and importing those would be a great biz. Especially 109's.

Serg
Series vehicles are my specialty!!When I lived in seattle I found a 88' series III for $7,500!!I was tempted eventhough the bulkhead was shot and it had moss growing from the wheel arches.just because I didnt think I would find another one.I figure that I can get them here for around £700-£1,500 in fair to good nick. I'M not intrested in trying to get rich however I feel I could offer some vehicles at a good price. I just got the Rovers North sales brocure and saw that most series vehicles are being sold for 7k-28k. That is insane and feel that I could do a much better price for people.I would love the chance to introduce the US back to Land Rover in it's traditional form. Thank's for the feedback!!!! :drink1:

·
Profesional Hunter
443 Posts
No you are 100% with it!!

Importing whole cars into south Africa will not work. We have a Landy factory here and all (new) cars and parts are available.

However we are starting to experience a shortage of Series parts. There is no good (read Rust free) chasis and Bulkheads available in Souht Africa any more. (The majority parts available comes of ex Army, police or Something series landies, so they are quite stuffed)
The good ones are currenly in Landys and are being used.

Also we would like to get our hands on after market stuff like Disk brakes and overdrives for series Landies

·
MISSING SOUTH LONDON.
3,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers!

Moeras said:
No you are 100% with it!!

Importing whole cars into south Africa will not work. We have a Landy factory here and all (new) cars and parts are available.

However we are starting to experience a shortage of Series parts. There is no good (read Rust free) chasis and Bulkheads available in Souht Africa any more. (The majority parts available comes of ex Army, police or Something series landies, so they are quite stuffed)
The good ones are currenly in Landys and are being used.

Also we would like to get our hands on after market stuff like Disk brakes and overdrives for series Landies
Great feedback Mate!I have access to tons of rust free series parts to send to S.A. I just need to figure how to manage my ideas!!!??? :wave:

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
Serg said:
In my opinion Disco's would be a waste of time
Why do you say that? It seems (anecdotally) that the demand for after-market Disco parts & mods is at an all-time high. RTEs business is doing well & getting a lot of word-of-mouth. There are several after-market custom shops in CO. Lots of Disco enthusiasts in CA. Etc. Seems like withe the launch of the LR3, the more used Discos will be out there & hence more demand of non-dealer parts & mods. Or do you think the market is too crowded w/ AB, RN, GBR, etc?

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Good, sound series trucks, especially 2As are in high demand. Simply by deffinition you won't have a market for any Disco, 90, 110 or Defenders, because they won't meet the age mimimum of 25 years. Perhaps the most sought after parts will be 2A bulkheads, as there are none here. Series 3 bulkheads are available, and from reputable suppliers, who buy in sufficient quantity (Full container load) to get the shipping costs as low as possible. LTL shipping is expensive (Less Than Load) because of the breakdown and clearance costs.
While RHD has never bothered me, since I spend a good part of each year driving the wrong side of the road, It scares off many buyers. That's where 2As have an advantage over Series 3s, the cost to convert to LHD is minimal on a 2A, as many frames have the hole for the relay on both sides.
Many people have done it, and to a greater or lesser degree, have made out OK. There was a guy here (In CT) bringing them in from Scandanavia, but everyone was resprayed before coming over, and piss poor at that. Body cappings that show slight rust color is far more preferable to ones painted over.

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
SCSL said:
Why do you say that? It seems (anecdotally) that the demand for after-market Disco parts & mods is at an all-time high. RTEs business is doing well & getting a lot of word-of-mouth. There are several after-market custom shops in CO. Lots of Disco enthusiasts in CA. Etc. Seems like withe the launch of the LR3, the more used Discos will be out there & hence more demand of non-dealer parts & mods. Or do you think the market is too crowded w/ AB, RN, GBR, etc?
I mean there are plenty of used Disco's in the US. You can find them cheap. I think you will get MUCH better bang for your buck importing series vehicles than Discos. There is much more demand for those than D1's.

Serg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.