Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 00 Discovery II. The amber engine light came on. Dealer did various things but light kept coming back on. Dealer now recommends a valve job for sticking valves. Was planning on doing this in a week or so, but until then I put in STP gas treatment. Driving today and the light re-set itself. I'm way too cynical to think the STP cured it, but I'm holding out hope. Any one out there have a similar experience where the fuel treatment actually worked?

Jonathan

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
If you are not under warranty I would strongly suggest taking it to an indie Rover mechanic. Where are you located?, perhaps someone can recommend one in you area.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Located in Little Rock, Arkansas. Only two LR mechanics in town- dealer and independent guy who worked for the dealer for 7 years. Spent about 20 minutes on the phone with the independent guy today. Later is when light reset itself.

Jonathan

PS: Under extended warranty through Primus Care, but dealer stated warranty won't cover valve job.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I posted something earlier but it disapeered.

Basicly, I went through the same ordeal with primus and you just need to word your problem differently so that something else gets worked on in that particular area of the engine. Something that will have to include a valve job in the process.
If you dont know what I mean.
Tell them it over heats a lot and loses power.
You cant see a head gasket leak until it finally blows and leaves you stranded.
Dont mention the gas treatment to them.
They will call it in as a head gasket and the insurance can send out a estimator but he wont find anything. He will have to go off the mechanics word.
Then you will get a new top end and a valve job.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.