Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Faster than the speed of hound...
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm sort of confused, but I have a possible answer. The lights beside the headlight (pardon me, I'm new to Land Rover terminology) on my Series III are Amber on top, white on the bottom. However, I've seen photos of other Series III's with them the other way around also. Is this due to England road rules vs. American road rules vs. Australian road rules? It seems as though all of them I've seen from England have them with Amber on the bottom.
And while I'm at it, the guy I bought mine from called it a LWB Panel Van, and that's what it says on the registration, but I haven't heard them called by that name anywhere else. Was there another "official" name for a 109" 2 door (3 actually) hardtop? I've come to the conclusion the 4-door LWB (5 actually) is the "station wagon". I've only seen a few others similar to mine. Is there somewhere that breaks down the percentage/production figures of different body styles?
I've posted some pics in the "show it off" section.
Thanks!
(Alright, go easy with me - remember, I'm new!)

George

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hello,

On UK vehicles, the sidelight (the white one) is on top, and the indicator (amber) is on the bottom. That is the way it has always been because those are the rules. In the US, it seems that the rules require bigger indicators (hence the big out-sized amber lenses I've seen on USA Series IIIs), with the white lights at the bottom. I can't speak for Australia, but basically Land Rover changed the lights around a lot to fit the different markets (that's why the lights moved from the grille panel to the wings in the late 1960s).

The official Land Rover model name for your 3-door is a 'Hard Top', with the Australia-spec non-sliding windows. The 5-door version with the 12 seats, Safari Roof, bigger sliding windows, full interior trim etc. etc. is the 'Station Wagon' (and had a little badge on the back saying so). Likewise, 3-doors fitted with canvas hoods are called 'Soft Tops' and those fitted with the little pick-up truck roof over the front seats is a 'Truck Cab'. Those are the 4 basic styles (also available on 88-inch models), but of course being Land Rover there are infinite numbers of special builds and variations. My 1982 brochure for the Series III lists 36 (!!! :eek: ) variations.

I can't think of anywhere that would give you a break down of what types were built. If Aus. is anything like the UK, it wouldn't be much good because every owner would switch the bodystyle around anyway to meet their individual needs. In the UK, the most common are the Hard Tops (because of all the rain), but many Land Rovers have a Soft Top kit tucked away in the garage for the summer months.

Nice Land Rover- I've always liked that yellow colour (not a UK-standard one). :clap:

Jack

·
Faster than the speed of hound...
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info! Very helpful.
I also like this colour. It's either called "Sahara Gold" or "Camino Gold". The seller wasn't sure which and says they are very similar, just used for different year models. I have an owners manual (not original to my LR) that went with one painted Camino Gold and there is a handwritten note which says "Matching colour - Toyota - Bamboo". I would like to have a small can for misc touch-ups.

I called the local Land Rover dealer here in Adelaide to get some background on when they used what colour, and was told they "don't have any records whatsoever on any models that old, sorry". Gee, I must be getting old, 1981 doesn't seem like that long ago! I guess they don't want to talk to you if you aren't interested in something like a Disco or new Range Rover.

George

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.