Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Drives like an old man
349 Posts
Sometimes it's the little things. I've seen batteries do some unexplainable things. I've seen alternators that tested good emitting an AC ripple that freaks out an entire electrical system.

I do know one thing for sure-- in about a decade, way more auto technicians will be living in nice houses in the suburbs.
I think they meant "trickle charge." Weak batteries do strange things to LRs. Never seen a goofier electrical system.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
New update I have gone back to the mercedes as I got a refund off the garage. Thanks to every1 for the help in the short time I have been here I appreciate it all adios

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Wounded Knee Moderator
1,904 Posts
Nice to have met you and good luck in the future!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Batteries are cheap. I don't enjoy walking long distances or being late. If I had to do that, I'd replace the battery. if it's more than a couple years old, its on borrowed time anyway.
I have a 2010 LR2 and in the past 2.5 years I have put in 2 batteries and just had the alternator replaced (then the 2nd battery). Seems there is a know parasitic drain issue (known by owners) and based on what I have read, people have not been able to figure out what it is.

Has anyone else had this issue? I love my LR -- but hate that it leaves me stranded.

·
1,783 Posts
Non of my 5 LR's have ever left me stranded. They have always gotten me home.
Dave

·
1,783 Posts
On my 4 cross country drives from NYC to LA and back (in winter) I have seen Toyotas of all models, Hondas of all models, Nissans of all models, Fords, F150's, Rams, Jeeps, etc, stuck by the road and being towed. All cars are susceptible to breakdowns. I remember on my way back somewhere after a snowstorm in Indiana on my way back to NY, two Ford F150 test drivers of the new model stuck at the hotel parking lot calling Ford head quarters that the F150 will not turn over and it was not due to the battery. The tech saw my NY plates and asked me where was I driving from. I told him LA and on my 4th time around. He asked how old was my LR3. I told him is an 05, about 10 years old. He said I would not trust these F150's for a cross country drive. And that was their tech.
Dave

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I bought one of the first 6.0 powered Ford diesel trucks ever built- the one's with the nightmare-ish problems. I still own it and it has 445K on the original engine that has never been opened. Good maintenace and good luck.

·
1,783 Posts
Good maintenance and good luck is right. CT90, my brother in law has diesel F350 its still going at 250K. The older Ford Diesels trucks seem to be better. My 91 RR classic I sold it with about 200K+ and my Disco SD 1999 sold it with over 200K.
Dave

21 - 30 of 30 Posts