Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My front driveshaft recently snapped while I was on my way home. I was only going 15-20 mph when I heard a loud rumbling and as I was pulling over on the shoulder I heard a huge metal banging. Im really new to owning a disco II so I need some help telling if the drive shaft broke anything else when it snapped before I tow it to a shop. This is a Discovery II 2001 with an automatic transmission
C595C1FA-F518-4375-AFFF-F10349E08154.jpeg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2001 Discovery Series II SE7, w/SAI and without SAI
393 Posts
You don't need to tow it. Take the front shaft off entirely and use a small pair of pliers to switch off at the transfer case (you'll feel it sticking up on top). You can drive it in 2-wheel while you order a heavy duty driveshaft to replace the broke one.

Reactions: Anthony_Bro

·
Super Moderator
2,275 Posts
A 2001 likely will Not have the central lock nipple so can’t lock in and if so you need a to.
If you’re lucky enough to have Central diff lock you will still need to remove the remaining broken shaft from the differential
You are pretty lucky that it didn’t smash out the side of the transmission, oil pan or snap the exhaust

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You don't need to tow it. Take the front shaft off entirely and use a small pair of pliers to switch off at the transfer case (you'll feel it sticking up on top). You can drive it in 2-wheel while you order a heavy duty driveshaft to replace the broke one.
Any recommendations on a specific driveshaft i should go for?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A 2001 likely will Not have the central lock nipple so can’t lock in and if so you need a to.
If you’re lucky enough to have Central diff lock you will still need to remove the remaining broken shaft from the differential
You are pretty lucky that it didn’t smash out the side of the transmission, oil pan or snap the exhaust
Should I be worried that it may have done any internal damage to the transmission though? I heard a scraping sound when switching gears, and nothing really happens when I do switch gears.

·
Super Moderator
2,275 Posts
If it didn’t smash anything external on the gearbox you’re probably okay
Without central diff lock your going nowhere with the front shaft ripped out.
Tow it home or to the shop you use, replace the shaft with a good new greaseable one.

Make sure it gets grease every service in the future

·
Expert Crate Digger
347 Posts
His 2001 D2 should have the CDL nipple. Mine does.

Reactions: Bigmant773

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tom Woods. I have an HD Tom Woods on the front and beat it up and still keeps on going. 4 years now no issues, easy to grease.

·
very disco
2,083 Posts
agreed, if I was to replace my OEM shaft it would be the TW

1 - 9 of 9 Posts