Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
JesusIsLord
Joined
·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, I just replaced my ICV (stepper motor) with a Borg Warner p/n 21774 that's an exact fit and recommended at the rangerovers.net site for the 4.0. I have the 4.0 in my Discovery. Anyhow, I did this in conjunction with a water pump, viscus fan clutch, and themostat replacement. I started it up and let it sit in the driveway at idle for about 10 minutes to check for leaks, etc. before taking it for a spin. I noticed in the driveway it was idled kind of high but I figured it was because it was cold and that it would idle down eventually. We'll after driving it around for a mile or two it still is idled up at 1500 rpm. When I pulled back in the drive and put it in park I revved the engine to see if it would disengage and idle down but nothing happened. It just went back to 1500 rpm and remains steady.

Anyone got any ideas?

The Idle on my rig is supposed to be 700 rpm +-20 with no load... And it's not adjustable. :confused
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
229 Posts
Did you remove the throttle cable / linkage for any reason ?
If the idle is that high after swapping the iac valve maybe the new valve is sticking,
do you still have the old one ? if you do pop it back in and see if it still idles high.
 

·
JesusIsLord
Joined
·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I didn't remove any of the throttle linkage. I'm going to swap the old back in tomorrow to see what happens. I just got back from driving it for about 10 miles. The sad thing is, I still have the hesitation thing which is what I replaced the stepper motor for in the first place. Although it's a bit different now. More of a stutter now (probably due to the high idle) when I let off the gas on occassion. Doesn't happen everytime.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
229 Posts
9dawgs said:
No, I didn't remove any of the throttle linkage. I'm going to swap the old back in tomorrow to see what happens. I just got back from driving it for about 10 miles. The sad thing is, I still have the hesitation thing which is what I replaced the stepper motor for in the first place. Although it's a bit different now. More of a stutter now (probably due to the high idle) when I let off the gas on occassion. Doesn't happen everytime.

When i replaced my iac valve it was because the idle was going high / low
real erratic, replaced it and it was fine. Could be you got a defective part.
The hesitation could be from many things, partially clogged fuel filter,air filter,etc.. Are the plugs & wires old?
 

·
JesusIsLord
Joined
·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope, they are both new (relatively). I have the MSD 8mm High Temp wires and Bosch plugs. What mine was doing is stumbeling at low speed and as time went on it progressively got worse to the point of stalling when pulling out into traffic. That's when I bought the new iac. I put an after market brand in. I almost bought the part from Atlantic British for $170 but I found the site at rangerovers.net that said the BW part would fit so I bought one of those locally for $39. I may just get the AB part...
 

·
MG
Joined
·
771 Posts
Like DI said, check the fuel pressure at the rail, as both the filter and pump tend to cause those symptoms. You also may want to check the connections to/from your coil.

If you decide to go for the LR stepper motor, first try everything else, as IMHO, the probability of having two bad motors is pretty slim.

If it were me, due to the controversy surrounding the Bosch Plat 4's, I would try some stock Champion or NGK plugs, just for peace of mind...

Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
229 Posts
How many miles on your truck ? My truck had similar symptoms at about 70K it turned
out my injectors were leaking, one totally dead and the fuel rail was rusted out , it
looked like chocolate pudding inside the rail. I replaced all the injectors , rail,pressure
regulator , the truck ran smooth with no hesitation after that.
 

·
JesusIsLord
Joined
·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have 107K on it. I'll check the injectors to see what's up. I'll let you guys know what I find. Thanks for all the info. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
490 Posts
DISCO INCUBUS said:
How many miles on your truck ? My truck had similar symptoms at about 70K it turned
out my injectors were leaking, one totally dead and the fuel rail was rusted out , it
looked like chocolate pudding inside the rail. I replaced all the injectors , rail,pressure
regulator , the truck ran smooth with no hesitation after that.
Disco, you are killing me. I have so many projects I want to do to my Rover... Sounds like I need to do exactly what you did with the injectors and rails.

Mechanical is not part of my wish list... I want roof rack, new 3" Big Blue HD springs... long travel shocks... front skid plate...

I would already have my dream disco if I did not keep up with all this maintance. lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
490 Posts
me.guevara said:
Like DI said, check the fuel pressure at the rail, as both the filter and pump tend to cause those symptoms. You also may want to check the connections to/from your coil.

If you decide to go for the LR stepper motor, first try everything else, as IMHO, the probability of having two bad motors is pretty slim.

If it were me, due to the controversy surrounding the Bosch Plat 4's, I would try some stock Champion or NGK plugs, just for peace of mind...

Good luck!
I second that!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
229 Posts
texasrover said:
Disco, you are killing me. I have so many projects I want to do to my Rover... Sounds like I need to do exactly what you did with the injectors and rails.

Mechanical is not part of my wish list... I want roof rack, new 3" Big Blue HD springs... long travel shocks... front skid plate...

I would already have my dream disco if I did not keep up with all this maintance. lol
I have probably spent more time under the truck than in it, seriously it just never ends you fix one thing and something else breaks , it's like a bad dream
and you can't wake up
 

·
JesusIsLord
Joined
·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Guys, I swapped the old stepper motor back in and the idle went back to normal. I do have the stutter problem still though. I looked at the injectors (externally eyeballed them and the rail) and didn't notice any obvious problems. They look clean and new really. Next step is cleaning out the MASS. I noticed a lot of carbon on the old stepper motor so I cleaned it off real good with some carb cleaner. Replacing the fuel filter will probably be after that.

What's all the controversy about Bosch Platinum plugs? That's what's in there now. :confused
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top