Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Another Fuse #33 problem FIXED

I have a 2001 disco, its at 109k healthy miles. I have read every post i could find on fuse problems and nothing seem to match mine, I am hoping if I solve it, documenting it this way and with your input this could be of help to someone else.
My disco electrical is not stock, i have a 7 pin trailer hitch with brake controller, and an aftermarket head unit with two backup cameras. With that said, here is how it all started.

I started blowing fuse #33 after installing a factory trailer wiring harness, come to find out there was a problem with the factory trailer connection so i cut it all out and wired an aftermarket 7 pin male. I used my trailer a few time without ANY problems (day and night) with the lights again. A few months after that, i decided to install a kenwood navigation unit (DNX9990HD) and after two days of wiring the head, amp and adding factory sub, everything worked great.

Two weeks later my dash lights go out, i replaced the fuse and worked fine for a day, then it blew the fuse again. I have the right side of the fuse (#33) grounded somewhere according to my voltmeter with the lights on or off. I know there are some circuits that change over to ground when in the off position but i do not think that is the case with the lights.

What i have checked so far:

1. took all the trailer wiring checked all the soldered connections and shrink tube. all intact and connected properly. Also checked the connectors for anything that may be shorting it out.

2. checked the glove box light in case it grounded.

3. checked ALL the wires for the nav, and removed the dash panel to make sure nothing was pinched or drilled thru.

4. calculated the load of all the lights to make sure it was not simply overloading of the circuit, it was not.

5. disconnected both tail lights, the trailer hitch harness, the brake controller, the glove box light, and radio, turned the lights on, and it popped the fuse again.

I am frustrated, hopefully a fresh set of eyes may help me narrow it down. :dunno:

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Don't have my manual with me, what is the #33 powering? Did you wire into the circuit to power your amp, if so you shouldn't have. You should wire directly from the outer fuse block.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Thanks Bill.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mike: i powered the amp the right way.

So i have been going thru the electrical manual and have it narrowed down to one wire... Red and orange, comes out of fuse box via C289 connects to kick panel LH, and then goes to a connector on the roof behind the right hand tail lamp, then to trailer socket.

problem is, given that the wire is grounded, its hard to trace the wire itself, moreover, that particular wire goes EVERYWHERE behind the dash.

So far.... no luck. 33 is grounded and i have 12.3v from one side of the fuse to the other. still confused and frustrated. The only thing i know for sure is that my fuse box is not bad.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
A 10 amp fuse is not going to power an amp. You need to be wired directly the the fuse block in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mike: as i stated before, its wired the right way. I ran a power wire directly to the battery, with a fuse block.

Today i checked some of the other circuit associated with fuse 33, disconnected the cluster, removed the glove box light and light switch. I was able to get the constant pin on the radio to power up, that was thru a 15 amp fuse (2nd or 3rd from the top right column of fuses, inside fuse box) and i have the nav working. I also have brake lights and reverse lights on the right tail light.

so far, the only wire i have with absolutely no power is for the high mounted tail light, right hand side, illumination wire for the radio and cluster, plus the glove box light.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FOUND THE PROBLEM! $200 and a week of headaches later i found that the same wire runs the daytime running lights and there was a short in the headlight little socket, the little light bulb that runs with the marker lights. it was shorted out and melted together. that's what grounded my illumination wire.

Thanks to everyone for their input. It made me think outside the box.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts