Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a couple of aspects of my motor's performance I thought could be improved. Firstly it did not seem to rev out smoothly. That is, past 4,000rpms it seemed to struggle a little, it was not a smooth increase throughout the whole rev range. The second was that under load up a hill, down around 1,000 rpm to 1,500 rpm it seemed to struggle a little. You would put the foot to the floor and it would make that burrrrr sound. It would not pick up like I would expect it to do.

I thought it might be a spark issue, so I bought one of these as a trial Amazon.com: Jacobs 380876 Ultra Coil, Universal: Automotive

Now I am happier.

It revs out at a constant rate right past 5,000 rpms and that burrrr at lower revs up a hill has gone. It actually now picks up speed slightly at those lower revs on the same hill I would have to be changing back on.

The motor also seems to have a throatier note and idles a lot smoother.

I later ended up also opening the plug gap to 50 thou, this made another slight improvement.

I am not suggesting in anyway that putting this coil in will transform your vehicle. It was subtle changes in areas that I had notice something lacking. Neither of these areas were bad by any means, they were just something I thought could be improved and they were.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Ian-I have been amazed at the difference replacing a coil can make. Between that and the vacuum advance can.

I accidentally got ten vacuum advance cans a while back and was a little put out at the error on the part of my vendor's website until I realized that EVERY one of my client's with distributor trucks needed a vacuum advance can. I think I'm down to one now!

·
Registered
5,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ian, what coil did you replace, stock or aftermarket? if it was a stock do you think this is still better then an aftermarket unit? say a pertronix?
I was running a high output transformer type Bosch coil. Part number MEC723.
As I said in my original post, this coil will not suddenly transform your vehicle. It solved a couple of situations where I thought the motor was only 90% and now it is probably 95% plus.
It is really a cost and benefit exercise. How many things can you buy at the price of this coil that will have any effect on the performance of your motor. I think the performance increase is well worth the small cost. I would have probably paid a lot more to fix the issue I had, as these small performance issues bug me. I want things as good as I can get it.

I cannot compare the coil to other aftermarket brands as I have not used them. I can only say that the coil I bought made a difference.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I just went though a lot of hassle with my "new" Petronix coil. Turned out to be faulty right out the box but tested ok until it got good and hot and then had intermittent faults. I couldn't even time the damn thing with that coil acting up. Had me chasing my tail for while. Ended up using the Bosch unit until I can get the Petronix coil replaced.

I may just grab a regular accel performance coil just to make life easy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.