Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I drove the LR3 last weekend - thought it was fantastic! Just for kicks, I started to look at 03 & 04 Discoveries. I am finding 04 Disco's, less than 10K miles, in the high 20's ($US) - which might be too good a deal to pass up. What is the general impression on the 04's? Any issues up front I need to know about (BMW engine, etc)? I tend to not believe the general consensus when it comes to car reputations - case in point, I have had an XKR coupe for 4 years - never an issue! I would hope LR's would treat me the same.

Any info would help.

Happy Holidays!

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
The 04 is a great vehicle and a heel of a deal with pricing the way it is.
By the way, that engine is the last of the buick type engine, not BMW. The power is good. has the CDL, as an option which is a must and all the bugs are worked out of it , or at least as far as Rover is concerned.
If you ar planning alot of 4wheeling, get an 04, save money and make the modifications you want.
Good luck,
Mike J.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Disco Mike, if you don't mind, I just bought an 03 Disco and wanted to know what engine is it and any more info you can give me. Was it a good year for Discos?

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
regarding the 03...

I am noticing that the 03's with more miles are more expensive than the 04's - what is the big difference (engine, etc).

thanks

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
There hasn't really been a bad year for the D2's. The only downside of a 03 over a 04 would be the lack of the CDL in the t/case, better off the road traction. The 04's do have a great number of refinements over the earlier models, but wether it is worth the cost I don't know. I am driving a 99 D2 and can't justify the difference in price to buy an 04. The engines and power are pretty much the same, good old 4.6 and 228 H.P., same block design that Rover has used since the 3.5 buick copy cat engine we started with.
It is all what works best for you.
Mike J.

·
Registered
447 Posts
i am not sure why an 03 with more miles would cost more than an 04. the only key difference between 03 and 04 (besides larger nerf bar looking roof rack rails and smaller trim level badges) is that the 04 has a locking center differential. buy the 04. i have an 03 and am keeping my eyes peeled for a locking transfer case at a reasonable cost.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts