Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi Gang,

Ive been lurking in the shadows for a little while now. Thought Id better say hello!

Anyway this is my first Rover, infact my first 4x4. And unfortunately i must admit im addicted. Its a 92 model which was totally standard. I cant say the same anymore.

Sitting around waiting for the rest of the gang to show up in Gembrook.

Back end of things...

I really do use this thing :D

This is what I mean about not being standard anymore.. I was at a point where the motor was giving me grief, I had three choices get rid of the truck, nope I enjoy driving it too much. Put another rover motor in it perhaps the 4.6L. Nope wasnt going threre either. A friend HSVRANGIE had already done this and I like what I saw.....

Anyway im still finishing this off, once im done I will place the finished pic up as well.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Hey Mon, welcome to our humble abode.

Now what is that thing...? Id liek a better description of that engine please.........:)

Nice color BTW, my Disco is also Alveston...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Hailsharky,
Its a local GM product, 5 Litre EFI engine roller cam. (originally a oldsmobile design if remember correctly). I bought it brand new out of a crate. The ECU is chipped to 195Kw. Its fitted with custom stainless steel headers and exhaust system should flow the gases well. Its dual fuel, petrol and also gas via gas research throttle body. Whole project is taking much longer than I expected...but like any thing once you get started you always find something else that wants attention hahahaha. Nothing apart from the steering box and brake booster forward of the firewall is original now in the engine bay.

·
rovering??
689 Posts
thats a freakin 259 HP.. LOOKS COOL too ..and trust me it is worth the wait ..once u get it all done you will be happy that you did not leave the other ends untied...let us know when everything is ready

·
Registered
590 Posts
RR5L said:
Hey Hailsharky,
Its a local GM product, 5 Litre EFI engine roller cam. (originally a oldsmobile design if remember correctly). I bought it brand new out of a crate. The ECU is chipped to 195Kw. Its fitted with custom stainless steel headers and exhaust system should flow the gases well. Its dual fuel, petrol and also gas via gas research throttle body. Whole project is taking much longer than I expected...but like any thing once you get started you always find something else that wants attention hahahaha. Nothing apart from the steering box and brake booster forward of the firewall is original now in the engine bay.
:mad: WTF, I wanna engine like that dammit!!

LOL, how the hell could I get that SOB crammed into my 2000 Disco withought throwing off bells and sensors? :confused

Where do I find that engine BTW? :confused :lol: :drink1:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hailsharky said:
:
Where do I find that engine BTW? :confused :lol: :drink1:
If I was doing all over again, Id probably go a chev instead, my motor has a 90° V where the chev if im right has a 70° V (read MORE ROOM). Its all very tight under there trying to avoid things like the headers getting too close to the starter motor etc.

These motors are getting harder to find in crates here now as they were replaced with the 5.7Litre LS1 Chev.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the welcome guys.

The rear step is actually an ARB unit which I modified to accept the rear wheel carrier I made. And your right ARB dont make these any more.

The engine mounts are custom fabbed for the job, but I think you will find Marks 4x4 Adaptors have ones you can use with your existing Rover Engine mounts. They should also have some for chevs.

·
Registered
490 Posts
That is simply AWESOME!

I want to do something like that so bad... I like this 4.0 but that thirst for power is getting bad. I thought long and hard over dropping a LT1 in there. I am worried about the ECU. I even thought about dropping a carb'd 350 and forgetting about that mess. Not sure what to do about emissions. I seriously need more imagination. Could you just hear the sound of a turned 350 coming from a Discovery... lol I get goose bumps just thing about it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
texasrover said:
That is simply AWESOME!

I want to do something like that so bad... I like this 4.0 but that thirst for power is getting bad. I thought long and hard over dropping a LT1 in there. I am worried about the ECU. I even thought about dropping a carb'd 350 and forgetting about that mess. Not sure what to do about emissions. I seriously need more imagination. Could you just hear the sound of a turned 350 coming from a Discovery... lol I get goose bumps just thing about it.
The ECU was yet another part of the equation that drove me to this decision, getting rid of all is lucas! Its running the holden ECU, modified , had a tech get rid of the need for te body control module and up the Kw whislt he was there.

The adaptor for the ZF auto is available again from Marks 4x4 Adaptors, little pricey but cheaper than having me make one form scratch im guessing.

The only down side to all of this is weight, and this is where a 4.6 wins...extra 60kg up front before you start (damn I gotta get back to the gym :eek: )

The other consideration is what will the rest of the drive line do when met with extra power. Ive already blown the back diff through stupidity. Thats been replaced with an ARB locker and maxi drive axles. Im just waiting to tell the wife....ohhh look at that the front one wasnt that crash hot either :clap:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.