Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening to all there. Opening this cause didn't find solution for my problem yet..so my ranger is a 87 efi,5dr,lhd..and my problem is the needle of the tachometer is suddenly no longer lit up red.so I checked the bulbs mounted backwards- but all three are fine and light up properly.even the dim for the dashlight works and all auxiliary lighting is fine. So has anyone an idea,why this red needle light is no longer working?

·
very disco
1,648 Posts
No answer because answer unknown! If bulb is on but needle isn’t illuminated, I would guess that the needle is suspect. It should illuminate like fiber optic, so if it’s not maybe it’s cracked?

·
Registered
638 Posts
So impatient....
I get it ...lol
But really I have never heard of this kind of problem
Or really noticed the lighted red needle
But I am going to look at it
I also have a spare parts Speedo I can mess with

·
Registered
3 Posts
HI, I have the same impression that dash could be lit brighter than with standard bulbs, so LEDs maybe !?
Additionnally the Revmeter works erratically, and shows less rev than reality (see pic !!) ….
low revs.jpg
any clue ?? thanks !

·
Registered
2 Posts
If the tach is sporadic and the light dim, I would suspect the alternator. I have a 94 RRC and the tach runs off the alternator. I expect it's the same for the 87.

·
very disco
1,648 Posts
What bronzeking said.

·
1993 range rover lwb - Roman Bronze
527 Posts
Good evening to all there. Opening this cause didn't find solution for my problem yet..so my ranger is a 87 efi,5dr,lhd..and my problem is the needle of the tachometer is suddenly no longer lit up red.so I checked the bulbs mounted backwards- but all three are fine and light up properly.even the dim for the dashlight works and all auxiliary lighting is fine. So has anyone an idea,why this red needle light is no longer working?

dude change the alternator..... what is happening is your battery is saying " i can't keep this up... i need a charge.... LOL"... seriously though the alternator failed and your rover is being ran by the battery alone and that is a sign of the battery failing. It happened to me driving from Atlanta back to NY.... I didnt make it to NY. I just crossed over into South Carolina and it shut off on my ON THE HIGHWAY!!!!! Luckily i was going fast enough to coast to the side of the road to a full stop. I was witnessing those same signs ( tachtometer going crazy, interior lights flickering.)..... im 100% positive its the alternator

1 - 10 of 10 Posts