Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok...i have asked numerous question dealing with suspension on here. here is another and hopefully the one to answer all my questions.
I am about to purchase my first lift for my disco. I am going with a 3 inch lift. This vehicle will also be my daily driver as I am young and cannot afford two vehicles yet. I am either going to buy an OME 3" kit (751's in front and 781's in the rear i think with a 1" spacer) or the Rovertym 3" lift kit. Which would be the best given my situation. I have heard that the ome kit does not offer much flex even with the sway bars romoved, but i have also heard that the 3" rovertym lift actually offers more than 3" and requires many more mods. I am leaning toward the OME even the it may have flex issues. Can anyone give my diehard evidence of which lift is better for me? or if anyone has a better idea than the two i listed feel free to tell me about them. You guys on this forum are awesome and i have learned a lot just by reading up on here. Thanks so Much!!!!

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
I think it depends on how much you wheel & what kind of terrain. If you wheel mostly in mud, I would probably say go w/ OME to minimize any other needed mods. If you hit rocks and/or rocky trails w/ deep moguls & need the extra flex, I would say go w/ RTE. It's worth calling Steve at RTE & asking him specifically what else might be needed with his 3" lift. He'll give you all the details. With the 3" RTE lift, you'll probably only need extended brake & ABS lines,,,so we're not talking major expense.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
in RTE 3" "kit" is requires extended control arms, do you think this is just something that may help a little or do you think is absolutely neccesary? i would love to go RTE but my budget on the lift and mods are limited!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Look, every Rover is different.

First, figure out if you really need a lift. What kinda tires you running? What's the biggest tire you would like to run? What kind of terrain (mud, rocks, sand, etc)? Is your Rover a daily driver? What's your off-road experience?

Then, if you really need a lift install it and see if you have any vibrations, any wandering, any extensive rubbing against the body, etc...

And last, do alot of research. From what I've read so far you're not familiar with all the different types of bumpers, springs, shocks, etc that are out there. Talk to some of the folks in your area (club) and see what they have, take a ride in their Rovers and see if you like the stiffness of an OME setup or if you prefer the flexiness of a RTE setup.... you got a lot of homework to do before spending money.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i am trying my best to research, but where i am from there are not any rover clubs (i wish there was) so this forum is my main source for info. and i am sorry if i seem ignorant and keep asking dumb questions but i want to know. i just have no other option for getting info, and you guys are great just don't get frustrated with my dumb questions!

·
4,576 Posts
haha...no worries man, we're just makin sure you get the right stuff for your $$$....im goin for the Scorpion Racing 2" lift and im even contemplating the 2.5"....the springs give a TRUE 2/2.5 lift and are guaranteed for life! Can't go wrong!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
drum655 said:
well i am trying my best to research, but where i am from there are not any rover clubs (i wish there was) so this forum is my main source for info. and i am sorry if i seem ignorant and keep asking dumb questions but i want to know. i just have no other option for getting info, and you guys are great just don't get frustrated with my dumb questions!
Don't worry about asking questions, I just don't want you to buy the wrong parts. Just tell us a bit more about your self and what kinda wheelin' you plan on doing. I guess since you are in GA you must have lots of mud, right? Tell us more.

·
4,576 Posts
According to previous communication with John, the on-road ride of the SRs are a hek of a whole lot better than OME....I do a lot of boggin, btu I do WAYYY more Highway driving...so I'll be getting the best of both worlds with SR!

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well yes GA has mud but i am not the muddin' type. I wanna be able to hang at Beasley Knob OHV area and Tellico and places like that that. Beasley knob has some serious hill climbing with a lot of rocks and such and tellico has many rocks as well. First and formost i want to be able to hang with my buddy who has a lifted jeep Rubicon which is pretty nice. I want him to shut up about how a jeep can beat a rover any day hahaha, i want to be able to do everything he does and maybe more, although he does have lockers which i won't have. But i just want to be able to do pretty intense trail riding and things like that (i live near the mountains by the way), but keep in mind that this is my everyday driver as well. So i guess thats enough info, if you wanna know any more feel free to ask me. or even email me [email protected] and we can swap info that way. thanks a bunch!

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SCSL said:
I run stock radius & trailing arms w/ a 3 1/2" lift, probably closer to 4".
I didn't even think RTE made extended arms for a DII?
SCSL what type of springs do you use... and do you get any wierd vibrations from the supspension set up you run? i would love to get 32" tires on mine or maybe even 33's what size tires do you run?

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
drum655 said:
SCSL what type of springs do you use... and do you get any wierd vibrations from the supspension set up you run? i would love to get 32" tires on mine or maybe even 33's what size tires do you run?
I have SG springs, unfortunately they don't make 'em any more. 33's (285's)

And I have clicks, rattles, etc but nothing I would consider a problem. It's part of the trade-off, or the trade-in, from street rig to wheelin' rig. I am more than happy w/ the on-road performance. You just adjust your driving style accordingly,, can't drive it like a sports car. That being said, I drive to work every day & take the highway w/out fear.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
do you think the sg springs are comparable to the RTE 3" springs? did you leave your sway bars intact?

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
I don't know. I've never driven a Rover w/ the RTE springs so can't comment on how they compare to OME. Hopefully some on line who have used both can comment. I have driven behind folks riding RTE dislocation cones & was impressed w/ the rear articulation.

I have my sway bars off. Was a bit concerned at first due to the height but only took about 2 days to get used to it. Now I don't miss 'em.

EDIT: As John said above, I don't think there's a right answer to this question. I think it comes down to what you are looking to accomplish with your build-up, how often you plan to wheel your Disco, the terrain, etc. Tell us more. I think the wrong decision here can be expensive because if you go mild, then decide to build up further, it can cost you more over the long run to replace stuff you've already bought. Flip side is you can "over build", which is also expensive.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Suspension

I run OME's withe Rovers 1" insulators, a good 31/2 " lift using OMES shocks.
I have 40,000 miles on the spring carrying 5600#'s and they have help up real well, no drop. I do alot of hard trails and wouldn't change to any other suspension.
Consider MT's before AT's and what are you doing for lockers or axles?
Mike J.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.