Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 Disco 2, 4.6L Gas, Based in PA, USA
124k miles

I did search here and wow there are a lot of threads on this topic. A lot of them are quite dated and I wanted a fresh set of eyes an input before I start tearing down the top end of the motor.

Situation:
When the engine hit approx 153 degrees F, there is a ticking sound that seems to be coming from the left side (Drivers) of the engine. It goes up in frequency as the revs go up. Not present when the engine is cold.

What I've done so far:
Changed oil pump (when I bought it, the pressure light was on at idle), new water pump, new 180 degree thermostat. New engine oil (flushed and then replaced again).

Guesses on the solution:
So Im left with now my guess is either some broke lifter spring, rocker arm assembly, push rods worn - OR - the famous slipped sleeve?

Do you mind taking a listen to my quick youtube video HERE please? I've had this on other 2003's and simply lowering the temp with the 180 degree stat made all the difference. Not so with this one sadly.

Any suggestions on where to start? TIA!

Also a shameless plug, years back I got into Rovers with a 1994 NAS D90. Since then the addiction grew and I was able to take my hobby and turn into a small business I do on the side. MANY thanks to those of you here who have helped in situations like this. Thank you! D90 Auto Sales :cool:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well - haven't had any input here on this so here is what I've done and I made the situation worse.

I tore the engine down and replaced the hydraulic lifters and put new lift rods in. I made sure the lifters were filled with oil. I double checked none of the lifter springs were broken. Everything all torqued down to proper specs. All new parts lubed with assembly grease. I pulled the fuel pump relay and primed the engine a few times to ensure pressure and oil brought up into the engine. Plugged fuel pump relay back in and in a few seconds, the engine fired up.

No CEL's.

Cold engine sounds Great. Im encouraged but once it hit about 150 degrees, the ticking is back but seems to be much, much worse.

I tried to do the break-in procedure byt holding the RPM up for 10 mins. 2500 then 1500.

The ticking now sounds way worse almost like there are marbles rolling around. Im certain I did not drop anything into the crank case.

I guess its a slipped sleeve or two? Or because of the new hardware, is there a step I missed?

Runs great, 188.6 degrees shifts fine, power as usual.... Just super noisy. Im at a loss.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone have any input on this please?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts