Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The front passenger window in my 97' disco jerks forward when it is going down. that is the rear corner tilst forward about 1/4 ince and then slams back to normal. Nothing happens when the window is put back up. does this sound like a problem with the actuator getting snagged on something? i havent pulled off the panel yet so i can see for myself

·
Registered
229 Posts
chuckles said:
The front passenger window in my 97' disco jerks forward when it is going down. that is the rear corner tilst forward about 1/4 ince and then slams back to normal. Nothing happens when the window is put back up. does this sound like a problem with the actuator getting snagged on something? i havent pulled off the panel yet so i can see for myself
I had the same thing happen , the window finally went down and stayed there
on a rainy F****** day, it was the regulator.

It is easy to replace i did mine in less than an hour. Do you have a Haynes
manual?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Your window regulator is failing, better fix it now before it stops at one of those bad moments.
Mike J.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Once looked into getting manual window mechanisms from a wrecker/breaker in the UK. With shipping, it would have cost over $500 to get them and there was no guarantee of correct fit. Apparently, there is a van that uses the same mechanisms as the Discos but they are good old "crankers"; was told nothing is available for the rear doors. Three of the windows in our 96 work fine but you can tell the mechanism (which amazingly comes from Japan) is sloppy and not up to standard. The fourth window (right rear) works only in dry weather.
I've already replaced one regulator in our Disco and I won't spend that much again on another inferior factory unit.
I notice that there are 'universal' electric window kits available for about $130US /pair advertised in all the Hot Rod magazines, has anyone tried to fit such units to a Disco?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Disco Mike said:
Your window regulator is failing, better fix it now before it stops at one of those bad moments.
Mike J.
On a similar note Mike, does a slow window motor mean the regulator needs replacing or is it the motor. My driver's side window is a bit sluggish.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
chuckles said:
Sounds more like the glass window is loose on top of the window regulator. If you just want that to stop, you have to find out in the Haynes manual or in the door if there is a metal clip or whatever is holding the glass in place. You can replace it and epoxy it in place until it breaks.

If it isn't. lubricate the rail where the window slides with silicone spray and see if that is why it is bonding.

·
JesusIsLord
185 Posts
chuckles said:
The front passenger window in my 97' disco jerks forward when it is going down. that is the rear corner tilst forward about 1/4 ince and then slams back to normal. Nothing happens when the window is put back up.
My driver side window just started doing the same thing. When I press the button to bring it down it sounds like it's going to shatter and scares the crap out of me. I told my wife today not to use it anymore until I have a chance to check it out.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Monty said:
On a similar note Mike, does a slow window motor mean the regulator needs replacing or is it the motor. My driver's side window is a bit sluggish.
Moisture has a way of playing havoc with the mechanicals on the window regulator.

Lubricate the window rails with silicone spray first. Please do not use WD-40. It will mix with the dust and make things worse.

Run the window up and down to spread the lube. If there is improvement, you solved the problem. Otherwise, you will have to go into the door and lubricate or replace the motor and/or the mechanism.

Adam in NYC

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ok so yesterday my window went down and will not come up. When I was rolling it down it made a horrible sound like the damn thing was going break, and then something did break and now my window wont come up. I am thinking that it is the window accuator, but not sure. Any ideas

Anyone know where to find one for a decent price?

·
Registered
229 Posts
etrnly said:
Ok so yesterday my window went down and will not come up. When I was rolling it down it made a horrible sound like the damn thing was going break, and then something did break and now my window wont come up. I am thinking that it is the window accuator, but not sure. Any ideas

Anyone know where to find one for a decent price?
It is the REGULATOR, common problem on these trucks ,like i said in my previous post i had the same experience and it was the regulator, oil,grease,prayers won't fix it you have to replace it unfortunately.

I bought mine from Atlantic british $100.00
It is very easy to replace, get yourself a haynes manual it will walk you through the steps .

·
Registered
38 Posts
DISCO INCUBUS said:
It is the REGULATOR, common problem on these trucks ,like i said in my previous post i had the same experience and it was the regulator, oil,grease,prayers won't fix it you have to replace it unfortunately.

I bought mine from Atlantic british $100.00
It is very easy to replace, get yourself a haynes manual it will walk you through the steps .
Thanks Disco Incubus, I tore my door panel apart yesterday and found part of regulator broke off and was laying in the bottom of my door.

I found a new regulator for $60.00 on rovercannibal.com

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.