Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just trying to enjoy my evening and take off my front sway bar and I cant get the two bolts that connect to the axel. I used heat, penetrating fluid, torque, everything and still the nut and bolt are both spinning together when I turn the ratchet. I have made some progress but hit a wall. The rave manual didnt tell me much. Am I going about this backwards? Is there some trick I haven't learned yet?

·
Super Moderator
2,162 Posts
I just had a look at my 2001 (also have a 2000 but it has a.c.e) the 2 bolts where the bar is bolted to the frame look to have welded on nuts in the frame, they are a square head of aprox. 18 mm they should not spin unless the welds have broken.
If need be you could cut them out with a cutting torch and use a nut and bolt on re assembly.
If this douse not make sense with what you are seeing , send a picture out ;)

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No worries. I got it. Just took a very very very long time.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
So why are you wanting to remove the sway bars, be real careful with it on the highway cause it can get a little dicey.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just the front one for now. I have very heavy duty springs so I won't be too worried. IF things get too uncomfortable Ill throw it back on. Thanks Mike.

·
Super Moderator
2,162 Posts
Unless this is an off road only vehicle it Makes no sense to me to remove it PERIOD. I expected you were doing it as part of a repair.
Regardless of what springs you have.
-stabilizer bar
- anti-sway bar (sway bar being its slang name)
It is a stability assist. That is why they came up with the a.c.e. system - to further enhance the stability of a top heavy vehicle.
You adding heavy duty springs likely magnify s the problem.
Mike is right it will possibly be scary to drive at speed.
I cannot think of any advantage to removing it!
Back me up here guys......

Nothing personal but what possible advantage do you expect ?

·
disco biscuit
1,061 Posts
Removing the sway bar increases the articulation by a lot. The ace system should somewhat provide these benefits without sway bar removal. I haven't removed mine yet and it still almost breaks the shocks off during full flex. Can't imagine without it. Heavy duty springs could help slow the roll a little actually. At least compared to my old worn out springs.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Just the front one for now. I have very heavy duty springs so I won't be too worried. IF things get too uncomfortable Ill throw it back on. Thanks Mike.
Normally you remove the rear sway bar if you are really needing the tire movement, no the fronts. Yes, you have HD springs but you also now have a truck that is 3"s taller then new and even more prone to top heavy swaying.

·
Registered
378 Posts
If a person wants to reduce body roll in a vehicle they can either install a stiffer sway bar, or stiffer springs. It sounds like Belafontainw is trying to increase articulation. Maybe regain some of the articulation that was lost when the very heavy duty springs were installed.

With ultra mega heavy duty springs the sway bar probably isn't being used much. You probably won't notice it's gone. The stiff springs are doing the job the sway bar once did.

If you are carrying a bunch of really heavy stuff on your roof it would be a good idea to keep the sway bars connected.

If you don't have anything on your roof (like I do) then you can probably get away without any sway bars (like I do).

I've been running around on the freeway and the trail without sway bars for a few months now. The suspension articulates better. I have wheeled with similarly equipped trucks and I feel like I have better articulation and less wheel spin than they do.

In conclusion: sway bars are optional. The best way to remove a rusty one is to use a cut off wheel and cut them off.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
alright boys, I see passions are high on the sway bar topic. I popped it off before I went wheeling to see about any improvement. There was a noticeable increase in articulation and on road I didn't notice any problems. So, I am keeping it off. I try to keep it under 60 on the highway anyway... ever since I had a horrible string of speeding tickets haha. I think I will take the rear off as well and if I flip you are all invited to my rovers funeral to rub it in. Thanks for the intel.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
In my experience (12 years without them and often heavily loaded) anti-roll bars aren't really needed provided you drive intelligently.
Since yours is a DII and I have D1's, YMMV.

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
I ditched my sway bars (RRC) years ago and did lots of off road driving and highway driving without them with no ill effects. My second RRC didn't even have them from the factory. My 110 has a rear sway only and it will leave eventually as well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
As a bit of advice, I would look at leaving the front connected. It is much safer that way. There are quick-disconnect kits out there for the fronts that you can install which allow you to disconnect them at the trail head (reasonably) quickly. Disconnecting the rears is not nearly as noticable on handling.

While driving on a highway, at the speed limit, I had a little old lady do a left turn right in front of me. It was either swerve into her lane, or plow into her in mine. Only problem being there was a semi coming up right behind her. I was able to swerve into her lane, and back into mine in time to miss the oncoming semi, and while (just barely) keeping the vehicle upright. With the front sway bars disconnected there is absolutely no way I would be here to type this message today because there was no option available that the vehicle would have been able to complete without losing control, or simply plowing into grandma.

Point being, it has as much to do with how others drive. "Driving safely", "intelligently", etc with the front sway bars disconnected buys you nothing when there's an idiot in another vehicle near, and about to force you to take evasive action.

Do yourself a favor (and everyone else on the road), track down some front quick disconnects and try them instead to begin with.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts