Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for tires, stock size of 205R16 or equivelant, any suggestions? - street use

·
Registered
317 Posts

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
Just bought Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo's for my Rover. 225 75R16 I think.
Check them out at tirerack.com. I didn't buy them from there but they have good reviews for tires. Spent 750$US.

Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo

I did a bunch of research for this one. Previously I had Yokohamas on there. They were good but didn't last long.

My buddy said 235/85 R16s would rub without a lift kit, so I went with 225 or 215 I can't remember.

·
Registered
93 LWB KITTED 95 LWB Chop Top 03 D2
213 Posts
Stock were the best but they are really hard to find

I saw a disco with the Michelin XPC 4X4 tires the other day. They looked new but I know they don't make them any more, those were the best tire I ever had on a disco ( 90 percent street/snow 10 percent offroad).. the KEY to ANY tire you decide on is the sidewall.. Stiffer is better.. More sidewall plys better.. this helps protect your sidewall when wheeling and gives it better performance on the street..

if you go to the snow.. LOTS OF SIPES.. this will help off road performance too but will tend to chew up the tires due to the stickyness ( is that a word??)

PS NEXT TIME YOU ASK THIS QUESTION>> ITS IMPORTANT TO TELL MEMEBERS WHAT KIND OF DRIVING YOU DO.. not yelling

my 2 cents

·
3,205 Posts
The original equipment is the Michelins. But they are really expensive compared to other tires. I'm still going to recommend the Dueler Revos. They stand tall like the Michelins and are 8 ply tires. The guy at the Tires Plus store asked me why I need an 8 or 10 ply tire. I told him it was a Land Rover its supposed to be tough and reliable its kinda the idea of the thing.
Maybe I shoulda said, "It's a Land Rover thing, you wouldn't understand."

·
Registered
674 Posts
tire size

Anyone use the 215/85 R16 size tires??

·
Registered
162 Posts
Wait on the tire sizes.....235-85R-16??????

Isn't it suppose to be
225-75R-16
235-70R-16
255-65R-16
NOT 235-85R-16?

From the Rangerovers.net, 235-70R-16 should fit without any problem on classic RR. If going with 255's, need to lift the truck.

I heard a good thing about Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo, Scorpion STR, Kumho, Cooper. Michelin's are good but pricey.

I think I am going with 235-70R-16 Scorpion STR for my next set!

·
3,205 Posts
This is the rule, you can read it on other boards. The second number is the percentage of width to height.
The OEM Michelins are 205 80r16
So...
205 x .80 = 164.00
225 x .75 = 168.75
235 x .70 = 164.50
255 x .65 = 165.75

These are all real close to the same height.

235 x .85 =199.75
Much taller than the others.

I have 225 75r16 Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos on my 93 Range Rover LWB.
Ozzie at Ozzie's Offroad told me if I was going to put 235 85r16s on I should lift the truck to prevent rubbing. Someone on here or Solihull Society has the 235s without a lift. I'm not sure if you would see any problems until you off roaded. You might get some rubbing then.

Compare all those models of tires at tirerack.com.
The scores for the Revos can't be beat.

·
Registered
162 Posts
235 70R 16 will fit without lift

I heard from my Rover mechanic that 235 70R 16 will fit without any issues with rovers and they are the stock OEM size for discovery.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I went with a full set of Wild Country 235/70R16. Fits just right and handles well. Much better than the cupped set of 8 ply tires that helped put the Red Rover into the guard rail. I currently also have the OEM Michellin 205/80R16 Synchrons on the Blue Rover. I prefer the wider 235. Difference in height is only is .5mm odometer is off 5 miles every 200 travelled.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ended up buying the Khumos in a 22570r16. Almost exactly same height, minimum width difference. I think I messed up though and got the heavier light truck version, because now the rover rides really rough. Feels like I have concrete wheels on it. I hope when I replace the old shocks it will soften the ride back up.

·
Registered
489 Posts
OK, so you bought tires, but I thought I'd say anyway and give a good word for the Goodyear Wrangler A/T tires on my Classic. They don't make these anymore but you can still find some around. I have four new ones on the truck plus a new one on the spare. They are 235x75x16. The Wrangler is a very good tire despite what some people say. The tread pattern means its not the best handling or quietest tire, but good in mud / snow and rain. It will work off road too. The tire wears very well and has decent lateral grip.

·
3,205 Posts
Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
The Goodyears my buddy has were not recommend by anyone on the site. I wish I could find them. They are terrible. And the comments about them were hillarious, we were cracking up.

Goodyear Tires at Tirerack.com
Check out some of the comments on the various types!!!! :clap:

The Dueler Revos, I think I said somewhere, are harder riding than the Yokohamas I had before them. But I don't think they were designed for Caddilacs either. The scores are impossible to beat. But at some point you have to decide how good, "good" is. We could debate the shininess of two different pennies all day. How much better are they really? Who knows. :dunno:

Happy driving.
:drive:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Cooper 215-85-16

Cooper 215-85-16 on the 92 Classic are GREAT on road, and on real snowy roads. I paid $445.00 for a set!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
couple good ones from Tirerack.com

Pirelli Scorpion STR A Michelin Synchrone
235-70R 16 235-70R 16
$91.00 $188.00
Dry Traction 9.1 8.5
Wet Traction 8.4 8.2
Hydro Resistance 8.4 8.1
SnowTraction 8.2 6.1
Cornering Stability 8.4 7.8
SteeringResponse 8.5 8.1
RideComfort 8.2 8.6
NoiseComfort 8.3 8.3
Tread Wear 8.5 7.1
Key: Superior (8.6-10) Excellent (6.6-8.5) Good (4.6-6.5) Fair (2.6-4.5) Unacceptable (0-2.5)
Would You Buy This Tire Again? Most said: Definitely (Average of 8.8 out of 10)

Definately buying the Scorpion STR A

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
I have Pirelli Scorpion 255-70-16's on one of my '95 LWB Classics. They came with the Disco wheels I bought and fit just fine. The suspension is Bilstein shocks and springs. No lift. The fronts rub at full lock, but no clearance issues.

Serg

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Irvin said:
Cooper 215-85-16 on the 92 Classic are GREAT on road, and on real snowy roads. I paid $445.00 for a set!!
hey- how tall are the cooper 215/85's in comparison to the 205's? I really liked these when I was researching my purchase, and actually decided on the coopers in the 215/85, but, when I opened my friendly phone book, I there are no cooper dealers here in Louisville! On hindsight, I would have bought them through a mail or internet dealer, and had them put on. Oh well, next time...BTW, anyone considering the khumos- DON'T get the ka-41 or whatever the designaTION IS, THEY ARE LIGHT TRUCK TIRES (??) -RIDE LIKE STONE WHEELS!

·
Registered
674 Posts
choices choices - that is what I get for opening this thread...thanks fellas!!!!

So next Q....I had the Gyear Wranglers...apparently the psi guidelines on the door are no good???? My front tires wore out v. quickly and the local yokel said that that underinflation was a contributing factor???

SO - once I buy the right tire (from above) what is the correct inflation - do you follow the ol' 35-40 psi rule of thumb or the 28 front and 38 back on the door sticker????

CHEERS :drink1:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts